[triangle-zpug] how to match strings in python

Chris Rossi chris at archimedeanco.com
Thu Apr 2 19:15:30 UTC 2009

I missed that the wikipedia algorithm was trying to solve a different
problem: longest common string, not necessarily starting at 0.  I would have
a tendency to solve this as a find string algorithm, attempting to find the
shorter in the longer, keeping track of partial matches along the way.  I
seem to recall seeing one that was O(n) in college, but I won't cheat and
try and dig out that text book.  College was a long time ago, so I could
easily be mistaken about O(n).

Chris Calloway's is pretty good--he beats wikipedia in terms of storage
efficiency, but the wikipedia implementation is more processor efficient.
The wikipedia implementation is also a bit harder to grok, but this could be
helped with comments and meaningful identifiers: also very Pythonic!

I don't think I can do better at the moment.  One could use your algorithm
of choice for longest match starting at 0 and simply run that starting at
different indices into the longer of the two strings.  This also gives
O(n*m) performance.  I'm sure I could figure out how to use zip() in there,
but it wouldn't be any cleaner/nicer than what has already been presented,
unless splitting it up into two functions makes it somewhat more readable.

Chris