[triangle-zpug] how to match strings in python

Clark, Tom tomclark at shawu.edu
Thu Apr 2 14:59:35 UTC 2009

Joe,

I believe this is a job for Regular Expressions, which is it's own thing
independent of Python, though Python supports it.

I'm only just learning, but the RE (or Regex) syntax would go something
like this:

	m/fooba.*/

with search/replace, assignment to variables etc. available as you need
them.

As has famously been said, if you decide to use RE to solve a
programming problem, you now have two programming problems.  OTOH, if
you do a lot of text manipulations, I don't think there's any way around
it.

Love to hear others opinions.

TC

Tom Clark, MLS