[triangle-zpug] scope in nested function calls

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sun May 11 22:21:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 11 May 2008, Philip Semanchuk wrote:

& thanks Bob too

It seems I have to declare the variable global at least at
the module level

> #! /usr/bin/python
>
> # The line below will be executed once when the module is initialized.
> bar_value=42

> This should print (untested):
>
> foo: bar_value  42
> bar: bar_value  1
> foo: bar_value  1

seems reasonable

As for the term "nesting" - I was using it in the sense that
fnA() calls fnB(), then anything declared in fnA() should be
visible to fnB(). At least that was my understanding from a
long time ago. However looking in google for "wiki" and
"nesting", I find the term nesting is used only for
recursive calls by a fn() to itself. I have no idea whether
I missunderstood nesting when I first heard it, or the
meaning has changed over 40yrs.

Writing a fn() inside another fn() apparently is called
enclosing in python, although nesting would seem to be a
reasonable term for it.

http://www.cs.wlu.edu/~necaise/python/Fundamentals/DefiningFunctions

Joe