[triangle-zpug] static list in python

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Fri Mar 14 17:29:52 UTC 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 12:39 PM, Josh Johnson wrote:

> I guess a global isn't so bad, it's only really global to your
> package.

I agree; that's the rationalization I use for using globals as
statics. =)

> There has to be some definitive answer.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I'm not sure there is. Some
features clearly defined in other languages become a matter of idiom
in Python. Idiom is often a matter of taste, and therefore not
definitive. A good example is the use of _foo and __foo as rough
analogs to "protected" and "private" in classes. Some people think it
is a bad idea, some like it, some (like Yours Truly) don't apply it
as consistently as they might. In that example there's no definitive
answer despite a lot of discussion on the topic.

Just a different perspective.

Cheers