[triangle-zpug] FYI - mailman host is moving

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Oct 2 11:18:21 UTC 2007

On Sep 30, 2007, at 9:48 AM, T. Bryan wrote:

>> Tom Bryan, do you still want to help with this? We have certainly
>> benefited from your many years of doing so.
>
> Sure.  There's not normally much to do, and the Mailman admin
> interface is
> pretty straightforward.  Of course, I know how the current list is
> configured, so I can probably help set up the new list the same
> way.  Really,
> the move should be largely painless except for the change in the
> actual list
> address.

Thanks, Tom. It would probably be good to set it up the same as
before. I'm interested in having more than one set of eyes on the
queue and more than one contact person.

>  It looks like starahip.python.net will continue to exist for now.
> Like I
> said, its original purpose isn't really necessary anymore, and I
> expect that
> it will probably be shut down at some point in the future.  It
> would make me
> feel better if we could move triangle-zpug to a different host now
> so that
> there's not a scramble in the future.

Agree. I hate server fire drills. They make me completely upset.

> By the way,
> does python.org also handle list archives?  It would be cool if we
> could move
> our old archives over, too: it would be a shame to lose five years
> of our
> history. http://starship.python.net/pipermail/triangle-zpug/

If you are asking if mail.python.org imports archives, I've included
that question in my request to python.org. But I've not heard
anything yet about any question from either postmaster at python.org or
mailmain at python.org. Like us, they are a volunteer organization and
spending their own resources on hosting things. So it may take time.

I would kind of doubt old archives would be imported. Mailman keeps
archives in monthly pickles (that's kind of one of the worst parts
about Mailman) and the search interface for those pickles is pretty
bad (monthly exports). But it is worth asking. Technically it is
possible. It's just a question of how much access to things like
pickle stores on a file system would python.org allow us vs. how much
volunteer work would they be willing to render to such a task.
Looking at the list of what's hosted there, I bet they've never had
this question before.

We have only some of the archives in Gmane.

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.zope.trizpug

It only goes back to April 18, 2005:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.org.user-groups.zope.trizpug/1

One of the great purposes of Gmane is to keep email list archives
forever. I hope we can work with the Gmane admin to pump the new list
into the same interface with the old list. The problem is, no one has
ever fessed up as to who subscribed the TriZPUG list to Gmane. We
don't know who holds the keys to our list subscription on Gmane. When
you set up a list on Gmane, one of the things you can request is to
import all the old archives. I don't know if it is too late to do
that now retroactively or not. I suspect it is not possible because
Gmane numbers posts in archives starting with "1."

And we can certainly download the current Mailman archives as monthly
zip files and store them on trizpug.org, as well. Oh, I just felt an
AppleScript itch.

I'm very interested in keeping those archives, too. Just the other
day, I was looking through some of them from before I became involved
and it was very interesting. The group has morphed a lot over the
years. Maybe those list archives could tell us who subscribed us to
Gmane.

office: 332 Chapman Hall cell: (919) 599-3530