[triangle-zpug] Progress report learning Plone, now in deeper...

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Sun Jul 15 04:46:54 UTC 2007

First, thanks for the constructive suggestions I got when I complained about
a week ago that the Plone installer wasn't working out-of-the box. Here is
the deal: Debian/Ubuntu requires patches to PIL in order for it to compile
in their unique environment, and that was the cause of my problems.

After moving past that bump, everything else worked flawlessly. The
"Definitive Guide to Plone" was still relevant enough for the very basic
level I'm at (i.e. "how to change the website logo"). I had fun putting up a
family website and playing with it.

Now, I have just gotten back from a board meeting with a large, regional
homeschooling association that wants to overhaul their website and do some
on-line community building. I volunteered to spearhead the effort because I
can tell that (a) Plone can do everything they want, and (b) there is a
great community using it (i.e. you guys).  There is a learning curve ahead
for me and my small web team, but my sense is that it will be very worth it.

I feel very strange. I came to TriZPUG purely because of my interest in
Python programming. A year ago I would have told people I would never try to
use Plone or become a web admin/developer... but there's just too much of a
need for the service, and so much that can be done with it, for me to just
ignore it any longer...

Thanks again,
David H