[triangle-zpug] O'Reilly User Group -- and RoR Strikes Again ;)

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Wed Sep 20 20:31:31 CEST 2006

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 02:17:11PM -0400, Mark R. Biggers wrote:
> Chris Calloway writes:
>  > Is that TriJUG? Like the Java group? They are pushing RoR?
>  >

> Yes, I guess.
>
> The TriJUG list is where the RoR course from the book-author "Ruby For
> Rails" course in Raleigh was announced, on 31 August.  Java guys have
> somehow missed the Python, and have embraced the "Perl+Smalltalk
> mashup", er, Ruby ... ;)

When I tried advocating for Python 5+ years ago, it was dismissed because of
its dynamic typing (deemed "unsafe for production use") and lack of curly
braces.

Now it is becoming increasingly apparent to the software development world
that dynamic typing is good and curly braces are not needed nor desirable.
But they don't want to admit that they were wr wr wr wr wrong in dissing
Python all those years ago, so they are going for something new and
pretending they never said those bad things about Python years ago... it is
a matter of saving face.

David H

--
David Handy