[triangle-zpug] O'Reilly User Group

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Wed Sep 20 16:26:19 CEST 2006

I would like to make a proposal to this group for thumbs +1/0/-1
feedback on the question:

"Should TriZPUG register as an O'Reilly User Group?"

Background:

O'Reilly has a User Group Program. http://ug.oreilly.com/

The benefits are:

     * review copies of O'Reilly products
     * donations of books and other promo items
     * UG member discount on all O'Reilly books and conferences
     * bi-weekly newsletter
     * O'Reilly speakers

For instance, when ZPUGDC had Plone Boot Camp, every participant got a
free copy of Python in a Nutshell. That's worth a lot of money.

I would imagine a downside is we would be whoring for O'Reilly on
occasion. But we'd be in the good company of these O'Reilly affiliated
Python user groups:

     * CHIPY Chicago Python User Group
     * BayPiggies Bay Area Python Interest Group, in Stanford, California
     * CLEPY Cleveland Area Python Interest Group
     * Dallas / Ft. Worth Pythoneers
     * IlliPy, in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
     * Ottawa Python Authors Group
     * ZPUGDC Zope/Python Users of Washington, DC

ChiPy, fully embracing the whoring aspect, even styles their website
like an O'Reilly book:

http://www.chipy.org/

So, I guess I should promise we wouldn't use Ben's pug mascot in such a
way on our website. :)