[triangle-zpug] Knoppix challenege

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri May 26 20:44:54 CEST 2006

My fellow TriZPUGlians,

Any of y'all handy with making Knoppix Live CD's?

I ask because for PyCamp, there are significant challenges for campers
in getting all the scientific packages installed.

On Windows, we have a magic bullet: Enthon...

http://code.enthought.com/enthon/

It just works and it has all the right versions of packages already
neatly bundled in an installer (which is no mean feat when it comes to
version wars between NumPy, Numeric, NumArray, SciPy, and ScientificPython).

I *may* talk a little bit about Enthon on Tuesday.

I just think it would be nice to be able to build a Knoppix Live CD for
PyCamp with all the packages already up and running, with the PyCamp
code and materials already there and ready to go, for those people
attending PyCamp with a Linux laptop.

Macs will be an even bigger challenge. But I thought I'd ask y'all about
Knoppix first. Heck, Macs are a huge problem with the processor change
over and needing GNU tools so SciPy can have fortran mathlibs.