[triangle-zpug] Can I make my site logo an image map?

Kurt Bendl kurt.bendl at louisville.edu
Wed Mar 22 20:59:34 CET 2006

Hey, how about creating your own global_logo.pt and adding your custom
imagemap
stuff there? Might that work?

-kb

>>> rick.denatale at gmail.com 03/22/06 1:52 PM >>>
On 3/18/06, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/17/06, Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:

> > So we need to turn that portal logo off since we want to use an
imagemap instead
> > of a background image:
> >
> > #portal-logo {
> > border: 0;
> > margin: 0.75em 0em 0.75em 1.5em;
> > padding: 0;
> > }
> >
> > Of course, we don't want to do that by customizing public.css in
the ZMI. That
> > wouldn't be manageable site code. We couldn't tar it up and
distribute to a
> > customer. We couldn't put it under version control. What we'd want
to do is
> > create a site skin product which registers a CSS which overrides
#portal-logo
> > with the css above.
> >
> > If you want to write a site skin product, there's plenty of
tutorial on how to
> > do this on plone.org. Or you can go to a Plone Boot Camp. :)
>
> So this is where I'm stuck.  I tried to follow the example on
plone.org
> http://plone.org/documentation/how-to/creating-custom-skins
> which came up when I searched for site skin product.
>
> I downloaded and edited the MySkin product according to this page,
> then installed it and everything seems okay until I try to make a
> customization.  I tried to copy
> /portal_skins/plone_styles/ploneCustom.css and paste it into the
skin
> folder that MySkin installed, but when I try the paste it fails with
> copy error saying  The object ploneCustom.css does not support this
> operation.

I've been playing with this some more, and re-read chapter 7 in the
definitive guide to Plone, and I figured out that I've got to add the
files via the OS rather than the ZMI, but I'm still stuck.

After installing the MySkin product, I've got a  directory named
/var/lib/zope2.8/instance/plone-site/Products/IpmsR12/skins/IpmsR12Skin

If I look at the properties of /portal_skins I see a skin called
IpmsR12Skin
with the following layers:

custom
IpmsR12Skin
kupu_plone
kupu
ATContentTypes
ATReferenceBrowserWidget
archetypes
mimetypes_icons
ResourceRegistries
gruf
plone_ecmascript
plone_wysiwyg
plone_prefs
plone_portlets
plone_templates
plone_3rdParty/CMFTopic
plone_styles
plone_form_scripts
plone_scripts
plone_forms
plone_images
plone_content
plone_login
plone_3rdParty
cmf_legacy

I copied ploneCustom.css.dtml.metadata and ploneCustom.css.dtml from
/var/lib/zope2.8/instance/plone-site/Products/CMFPlone/skins/plone_styles/
/var/lib/zope2.8/instance/plone-site/Products/IpmsR12/skins/IpmsR12Skin
and replaced the comment which said in effect "make your changes here"
with
#portal-logo {
border: 0;
margin: 0.75em 0em 0.75em 1.5em;
padding: 0;
}

I changed my preferences to use this new skin, and reloaded but it had
NO effect.  I would have expected the logo to disappear but it's still
there.

Firefox developer tools says that the embedded style sheets are:
<!-- @import
url(http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/portal_css/ploneStyles5400.css);
-->
<!-- @import url(http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/portal_css/member.css);
-->
<!-- @import
url(http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/portal_css/ploneStyles9345.css);
-->
<!-- @import
url(http://ipmsr12.denhaven2.com/portal_css/ploneCustom.css); -->

I've tried variations such as mimicking the directory structure of
Products/CMFPlone by making a subdirectory called plone_styles in my
IpmsR12/skins/IpmsR12Skin directory and moving ploneCustom.css* there
but it makes no difference.

Help the newbie!  I'm still having a conceptual problem here.

--
Rick DeNatale