[triangle-zpug] Getting DisplayList to show Values instead of keys

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Wed Jun 21 06:37:04 CEST 2006

Rob, I know this is a very old thread, but I'm wondering if you found
an answer to this question:

On Mar 23, 2006, at 11:47 AM, Rob Lineberger wrote:
> Brief question, followed by a winding (but fruitless) road of self-
> discovery...
>
> If you specify a DisplayList as the Vocabulary for an AT Field
> called building:
>
> BUILDING = DisplayList((
>     ('bank-of-america',   'Bank of America'),
>     ('lineberger',        'Lineberger'),
>     ('mary-ellen-jones',  'Mary Ellen Jones'),
>     ('macnider',          'Macnider'),
>     ('mbrb',              'Medical Biomolecular Research Building'),
>     ('other',             'Other'),
>     ))
>
> ...And you use the default accessor getBuilding in your page
> template, it will display the id ('mbrb' instead of 'Medical
> Biomolecular Research Building').  How do you get the getBuilding
> accessor to show the "value" instead of the "key"?

I've run into the same problem, and after a couple of hours digging
through Archetypes source code, just decided to punt with a simple
list of values, like so:

BUILDING = [
	'Bank of America',
	'Lineberger',
	'Mary Ellen Jones',
	'Macnider'
	'Medical Biomolecular Research Building',
	'Other'
]

This is less common in examples, but works just fine.

Of course, with this method the same string is used for storage and
display of a value. Now my view templates show a friendly value, and
so far I can't see a down-side to storing these strings as values.
Granted, it's lousy for i18n, and it'll be a pain if the client wants
to tweak the display names. (I suppose we'd need to revise all
existing objects to replace old with new string values.)
Anyway, I hope this helps someone out there.

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media
http://www.ibang.com/