[triangle-zpug] editor discussion continued...

Dave Powell jdavep at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 00:35:00 CEST 2006

wing seems great...but as alton brown likes to say...i only have one
unitasker in my virtual kitchen... ;o)

i was looking at eclipse becasue it also supports a cold fusion plugin and
that coffee stuff too...(not that i use it very often)...

...my first impression when i tried cfeclipse was that the setup was really
better for Java with setting up projects, etc...but that there were some
handy little things that made life easier...

...i guess i'll just have to try it out, and in the meantime, install the
wing freebie on my new laptop too...(i'll keep boa constructor and komodo on
the list in case i get frustrated...

thanks for the input guys...
...dave p

On 5/31/06, Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:

> Dave Powell wrote:
> > ...has anybody tried PyDev for eclipse?...it looks pretty full featured,
> > and is free...anybody know if it allows for debugging?...
>
> PyDev includes a "High-speed Debugger (on par with the best debuggers
> available)":
>
> http://pydev.sourceforge.net/debug.html
>
> Debugger
> # Python and Jython support
> # Watch
> # Breakpoints
> # Step in/out/over
> # Multiple threads
> # Variable display
> # File hyperlinks in the console output (you can click on stack traces)
>
> It also include PyLint (disabled by default).
>
> Some links:
>
> http://wiki.python.org/moin/EclipsePythonIntegration
> http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2006/05/a_glance_at_pydev.html
> http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2005/09/pydev_eclipse_plugin.html
>
> At Plone Conference 2005 I saw the following talk, but the presentation
> files have gone missing (this irritates the crap out of me). Contact the
> presenter, I guess:
>
> Eclipse: The What, Why, and How by Rocky Burt
>
> Rocky is looking for other people who use Eclipse and PyDev with Plone:
> rocky the at sign serverzen the dot mark com.
>
> At Plone Conference 2004 I saw the following talk, but that presentation
> file is missing on plone.org. Contact the presenters, I guess. Riaan
> Booysen is the author of BoaConstructor. Joel you know. Gogo (Georg
> Bernhard) is... too cool for school; and gogo the at sign bluedynamics
> the dot mark com.:
>
> Developing and Debugging Zope and Plone with BoaConstructor
> Riaan Booysen and Joel Burton and Gogo from Bluedynamics
>
> "Boa Constructor is a powerful open source development environment for
> building Python applications, including tools for managing Zope sites
> and adding and modifying Zope/Plone content, such as PageTemplates or
> PythonScripts, right within the IDE. It also includes a flexible
> debugger and object introspection system. In this tutorial, we'll cover
> how to use Boa Constructor to help build and manage your web site, and
> will cover how to setup your Zope/Plone site for debugging with Boa. In
> addition, we'll take a quick look at two other popular debuggers,
> WingIDE, and Komodo, and compare their features."
>
> Outline:
> - Overview of BC, where it is, where it's going
> - Developing sites using Boa
> - Debugging using Boa Constructor
> - Short compare to WingIDE
> - Short compare to Komodo
> - General tips of debugging Zope/Plone
> - Questions
>
> There was a demo of Wing, Boa, and Komodo IDEs at the Feb 2005 TriZPUG
> meeting by Tom Bryan at Ben's place at Duke. There are no files or notes
> from that on TriZPUG.org. Contact Tom. He's the testmeister
> extraordinaire.
>
> > ...and if there are any other editors with things like code completion
> [...]

j david powell
craf7 design
1017 broad st.
durham, nc  27705
919.345.8370
jdavep at craf7.com

Learn more about how I've joined in the fight against cancer:

Team in Training and the Leukemia Lymphoma Society:
http://www.lls.org    http://www.teamintraining.org

My Blog:
http://dave.tntcyclist.org

Donate Now!