[triangle-zpug] Logo madness

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Jan 27 17:57:46 CET 2006

> Jim Allman wrote:
>>Interesting point about shape. Perhaps we can try for continuity with
>>similar round emblems and "wraparound" text.

Check.

>>In the "spedometer" logo we also tried to incorporate the traditional
>>"Plone blue" colors, but added other colors for splash. It seems we
>>can loosen up the colors for more general Zope and Python events.

Yeah, I'm not married to the "Plone colors," either.

In fact, I have grown tired of them. They have really poor contrast. I
think in 2002, when Plone color was designed, those colors and that
Plone look was very Web 2.0 for the times. Now, it's very "early Web 2.0
experimental look that has served it's purpose in looking all sleek and
distinctive for awhile and now it's time to move on."

TriZPUG "racing green" seems to more fit, as far as I'm concerned.

The TriZPUG green swatch is:

super dark green: #003300 (globalFontColor)
dark green: #006600 (linkColor)
pastel green: #669966 (globalBorderColor)
lime green: #74ae0b (contentViewBorderColor)
olive green: #578308 (contentViewFontColor)

Rob Lineberger wrote:
> The speedometer logo worked well.  Working from that, we could have a
> steering wheel with the plone logo where the manufacturer logo would be
> in the center, maybe some hands on the wheel,

Dude, you rock.

> with the theme being "Take
> the Wheel" or "Drive your own Website" or "Who needs a chauffeur when
> you have plone" -- Something that symbolizes the individual taking
> control without relying on a web programmer to do everything.

I very much like "Take the Wheel".

It sure beats being railroaded by Ruby on the track to nowhere (so, OK,
it took me 15 minutes to connect a web form to a MySQL database, where's
the beef?, I could already do that in 15 minutes).

> Similarly, the logo could be a leather shift knob with the Plone logo
> embossed on the head, fading out to the gear slots, with a logo like
> "Get into the Driver's Seat" or "How many gears does your website have?"

I think the shifter and "Get in the Driver's Seat" could even serve for
next year's Plone Boot Camp. Hey, Plone 2.5 with all Five interfaces is
coming by the end of the year and Plone 3 with all Zope 3 plushness will
be here next year. So it will truly be time to shift gears in 2007.

> I'm not ready to crown this the winning idea, but it will do in a pinch:
> round, automotive theme for consistency.

Well, I'm ready to crown this the winning idea, because we need to get
going, and you've come up with something so amazingly consistent and good.

Jim, let's roll. Take the wheel.

Rob, fame and glory, all yours.