[triangle-zpug] One Week Warning: Plone Boot Camp

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Thu Feb 23 20:04:20 CET 2006

Rob Lineberger wrote:
> I'd like to echo Chris's comments regarding the help most needed.  My
> biggest concern is: who will pick up the food?

Sorry about the late reply. A lot going on.

Food delivery is something I think I possibly can prevail upon the Boot
Camp alums of Marine Science for. I've already spoken to some of them,
and they appear cooperative. I might tap OASIS on the shoulder if I
can't cover every day with Marine Science people. But Marine Science
folks can use the van for pick up and delivery, so that makes more sense.

So Frank, don't sweat hauling baugettes on a scooter. And I envy your
scooterhood, Frank. I want one for campus. A medium blue metalflake
Piaggio or Lambretta would do nicely.

We don't want *any* currently attending campers to have to take care of
any legwork during Boot Camp week. They need to pay attention in class.

I think I will have to drive the van. It will have to be somebody in
Marine Science.

What would be helpful would be:

1) Making coffe in the morning. Ve haff the kaffee. Und ve haff dur
zugar und dur cups und schtuff. And we have this giant urn for coffee.
Thing is, more coffee = more time to brew. You've got to turn the urn on
an hour and a half ahead of time to be ready for the start of class.
That means the coffeemaker pretty much has to be in Phillips 328 at 7am
with the key each morning. Pretty heavy responsibility. If you turn the
urn on later than 7:30am, that means there's a loud perking sound going
on during class. And nobody has coffee before class. We want wide awake
campers.

2) Calling in the lunch order. The university catering was even a little
more difficult than Rob let on. They wanted to know what our order was
*three* weeks ahead of time (how many and what), payment of fifty
percent two weeks ahead of time, and minimum orders on individual items.
So if I bought turkey sammiches or spinach lasagna, I had to buy a
minumum quantity ahead of time. I figured campers might want a little
more control over what they want to eat. So we have some select gourmet
vendors, a different one each day, who are going to provide us with prix
fixe menus. Campers will select their lunch in the morning and the order
will be called in. The calling in activity might take as much as half an
hour each day. It should take place around 10am. It requires coming to
328 Phillips to pick up the order forms from campers.

If you can be a coffee maker or order taker on any given day of camp,
your user group needs you.