[triangle-zpug] web stats for a Plone 2.0.5 site

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Feb 10 20:11:55 CET 2006

Mike Revoir wrote:
> We run Webalizer (http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/) across our proxy
> server logs, but you should be able to run it against your Zope log
> ($INSTANCE_HOME/log/Z2.log).

I second Webalizer, although I front end Plone with Apache and have
Webalizer grab the Apache logs. My understanding is the Zope logs are
the same format as what can be done with a certain configuration of
Apache logs. But the output of webalizer is to the file system, so you
will need some way other than Zope of looking at it anyway.

Webalizer is part of the Fedora repository, also, and should be as
simple as yum install webalizer. You can cron it, or run it straight out
of /usr/bin.

I recommend changing /etc/webalizer.conf  and
/etc/httpd/conf.d/webalizer.conf to point at a report locations other
than "usage" and /var/www/usage. If you don't need stats reports over
the web, there's not even any reason to have Apache server them (just
get rid of /etc/httpd/conf.d/webalizer.conf and have /etc/webalizer.conf
point to a directory outside of /var/www).
/etc/httpd/conf.d/webalizer.conf also allows you to configure what
requesters are allowed to look at the usage location if it is served by
Apache. I limit mine to my subnet. Script kiddies can use stats reports
to find the locations of your admin panels, etc..

Awstats (http://awstats.sourceforge.net/) is also very common and in
wide use. Somewhat prettier than Webalizer, more complex, and a target
for script kiddies. Look in your logs and you'll see lots of requests
for /awstats even when you don't even have it installed. Like webalizer,
it should be configured to point at somewhere else other than /awstats,
and should either be requester limited or not evern served.