[triangle-zpug] Regular expressions hanging or just taking a looonng time

Mark R. Biggers biggers at utsl.com
Mon Aug 28 20:13:07 CEST 2006

Edmund Moseley writes:
 > Hi all,
 >
 > I am writing a method to take a word perfect file and use RE to parse
 > out the data.  I have also got a very simple unittest which tries it
 > out on a few different files.
 > The regex is pretty long and basically looks for a field name, then
 > captures everything after it, until the next field name. Sample:

Perhaps mxTextTools might be just the ticket?

  "Fast Text Manipulation Tools for Python"
  http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxTextTools.html

There seems to be some "how to parse examples" for RTF tools, in this
package.  The mx-Lib modules are excellent, overall.

Hope this helps,
----mark

 having fun with (c)ElementTree to parse Jive (Jabber IM) logs -- cEM
 is really easy and fast!