[triangle-zpug] Request help/advice from Mac-using Pythoneers

Philip Semanchuk philip at semanchuk.com
Wed Aug 16 04:58:57 CEST 2006

On Aug 15, 2006, at 8:50 PM, Mike Revoir wrote:
> On 8/15/06, David Handy <david at handysoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tomorrow (Wednesday) evening I am holding a Python programming
>> workshop
>> for
>> teenagers (and their parents). One of the attendees is bringing an
>> ibook,
>> G4 Mac running Mac OS 10.4. I have run the software for my workshop on
>> Linux
>> and Windows but not yet on a Mac.
>>
>> I need to know:
>

> I keep hearing that the new MacOS is Unix based. Does it support the
>> ossaudiodev module?  (A long shot but it would be nice.)

Mike R. already answered most of your questions already, but I'll add
in that OS X's Unix roots mostly come from FreeBSD. I've installed
plenty of Unix-y tools and packages on my Mac and they generally work
well.

> I'm correct in assuming it handles zip files just fine out-of-the-box?

Double click on a ZIP to open it. To create a zip file select your
source file(s), right click and select "create archive" from the popup
menu.

> Any other thing that a complete newby to Python on the Mac needs to
> know
>> before he tries to run and install his Python software on a system
>> he's
>> never seen before? Usually such unpreparedness is a recipe for
>> disaster...

In the folder Applications, subfolder Utilities, you will find an
application called Terminal. Double click it to get all of that crunchy
command line goodness!

>> If someone is feeling especially generous with their time, please go
>> ahead
>> and download and try the software for my workshop. Run test.py for a
>> general
>> test (should print stuff and pop up windows) and testsound.py to try
>> the
>> sound code.
>>
>> http://handysoftware.com/download/cpif-1.0.1.zip

I don't have Tkinter installed so I didn't get very far with this.

Hope your workshop goes well!

Philip