[triangle-zpug] [Fwd: trizpug.org/Members/phenonline/ - SPAM&shop of narcotics]

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Mon Aug 14 21:41:44 CEST 2006

During the recent spam link war, I recevied the following amusing
message forwarded below. No good deed goes unpunished.

Eliminating member folder creation seems to have called a halt to the
spam link war. Over the weekend I attempted to keep member folder
creation open by creating some tools which would delete the redirect
pages as they were being created, along with the member folder and
member creating them, keeping me up until 5am Sunday morning after
working all day on loading out the PyCamp classroom (anybody got a place
to store fourteen cases of soda and bottled water?. But the spammers
were creating new users and new folders as fast as they could be deleted.

I might also mention that Trac sites were being used in the great
TriZPUG spam link war. Specifically, the Radrails (Ruby on Rails IDE)
Trac site had a problem ticket posted with links to TriZPUG spam links:

http://trac.radrails.org/trac/ticket/1249

I filed another ticket asking them to remove the spam links to
trizpug.org. I guess they'll have to learn Python in order to figure out
how to do that.

This whole spam link problem is a blow against open community sites.
Essentially, you can't have an open community site anymore. You have to
have some kind of moderation. Which means devoting time to the
moderation activity. Which means less time for open community activity.

Paul, thanks for the August meeting notice.

"I shall complain in FBI!" There's a t-shirt in there somewhere.