[triangle-zpug] Ready for more exploration..

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Sat Aug 12 21:47:36 CEST 2006

Hi all,

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed PyCamp. It was great to spend a
solid week working in the language and getting a taste for things
pythonic. No doubt like most of you, I'm scrambling to catch up on
all my other projects. =)

That said, there are some loose ends I want to chase some more, and
I'm wondering whether others would be interested in keeping up a
conversation here, or on the TriZPUG mailing list (http://
starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/triangle-zpug).

Here are some of the concepts I'm most intrigued by:

1) Tinkering with streams and pipes. Strange input devices, novel
display ideas, etc.

2) Exploring the boundary between a package and a module. Can a
package be a substantial module (fleshed out in  __init__.py) instead
of just an empty container? Would this ever be a good idea? If not,
why not?

3) Digging further into the "dispatch" pattern, to learn why it's
considered such an advance over switch statements.

4) Working with LEO (a "literate programming" editor), possibly using
the 'fileinfo' examples from Dive Into Python. In LEO, source code is
part of a structured, narrative document--basically a verbose
outline--from which the working program (or complete documentation)
can be extracted at any time. Some very interesting ideas, and I'm
curious to see how they work in practice:
	http://webpages.charter.net/edreamleo/front.html
LEO screen-shots here, if you have just a minute:
	http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=3458

I suspect I'm more likely to work on these ideas if there are fellow
travelers. Interested?

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media