[triangle-zpug] Alan Runyan at Trizpug

cbc at unc.edu cbc at unc.edu
Fri Apr 28 05:48:48 CEST 2006

Quoting "Dimauro, Frank" <FDimauro at unch.unc.edu>:
> He also happened to mention that the Plone logo is copyrighted and that we
> should not be using it w/o permission. Even enfold cannot use it w/o
> permission.
>
> ( I wonder if PBC was in violation? )

1) The Plone logo and name are *trademarked* in something like 136
countries. Very few trademarks of any kind except maybe Coke(tm) and
Marlboro(tm) have such internationally protected trademarks.

2) It was one of the most complicated IP cases ever handled according
to the Free Software Foundation, who advised on the case, and who use a
Plone site. I know it cost huge boatloads of money in legal fees.

3) The Plone Foundation is the legal guardian of the trademark. In
fact, conservation of rights is about all the Plone Foundation is set
up to do. The creators of the logo and name were required to assign
their copyrights to the Plone Foundation for that purpose. They have
signed releases to that effect. Such releases are required of everyone
who contributes even one line of code to Plone, *each and every time*
they make a contribution. This is one the advice of one of the IP
lawyers involved in setting up the Plone Foundation. I don't know of
any other FOSS software project where that is required *each and every
time*. But it was the policy for Plone announced at the 2004 (2nd)
International Plone Conference. When your product consists of over 29
separately developed subproducts under four licenses with over 50
individually named copyright holders, apparently that's what you have
to do.

4) The Plone Foundation has a trademark policy:

http://plone.org/foundation/committees/trademark/policy

5) The Plone Foundation's logo policy grants the rights to use the
trademarks to certain user groups, of which TriZPUG qualifies.

6) Even with the express exemption in this policy for user groups such
as TriZPUG, on behalf of TriZPUG I contacted and was granted permission
to use the logo by the board of the Plone Foundation as described in
the policy.

7) The chair of the board taught the PBC. :)

8) Enfold has to ask to use the trademark because Enfold is a
commercial business, according to the trademark policy.

9) I'm sure it was just an honest mistake on Alan's part to think we
couldn't use the trademark. I guess the more restrictive aspects of the
policy would be pretty fresh in your mind if you had to ask permission
to use the trademark you yourself had created. :)

10) When TriZPUG uses the Plone trademark, we are careful not to alter
its aspect ratio or colors as requested in the Plone Foundation
trademark policy. Thanks to Rob Lineberger for catching that clause in
the policy. We were thinking of a TriZPUG green logo until Rob's
diligence saved us.

11) It's kind of ambiguous what not altering the aspect ratio or colors
even means, as there are several different versions of the trademark
posted on plone.org:

http://plone.org/events/sprints/snow-sprint3/snowsprint.png
http://plone.org/documentation/whatsnew/2.1/images/plone-plaid.jpg
http://plone.org/about/mediakit/bitmaps/plone-plonestation.png
http://plone.org/about/mediakit/bitmaps/plone-coolnordic.png
http://plone.org/events/conferences/3/vienna2005-frontpage.png

Also see the dozen different colors of the trademark in Plone 1.x and
the "Classic Plone" skins product for Plone 2.x.

But we should respect the policy and the spirit of the policy nonetheless.

12) According to the Plone Foundation meeting minutes of March 3, 2005,
the language about not altering the trademark aspect ratio or colors
was placed into the online published policy post-ratification and
unilaterally by the foundation's ad hoc trademark committee without
vote by the membership or board. So it's kind of ambiguous as to
whether that is even official policy. But we should respect the policy
and the spirit of the policy nonetheless.

13) TriZPUG should respect the policy and do anything we are told about
it by the vote of the board or membership of the Plone Foundation.
Right now, I don't see a problem, though.

14) I'm glad y'all had a good time with Alan and Cameron. I wish I had
been there. Thanks for setting it up, Frank.

15) I'll be back in the area next week. Email and cell phone spotty at
best until then.

16) This email was brought to you by the letters T and M.

Cheers, Chris