[triangle-zpug] Plone 2.1 demo

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Sep 9 23:05:23 CEST 2005

Rob Lineberger wrote:
> No hurry here.  I'm still going through my notes from the Cignex
> training.  But if the ZEO install is different, I'll hold off for that
> because I'll be deploying on a 4 CPU server.

Dog, you rock. So, I'll make sure the recipe covers processor affinity,
which you will need to do with a 4 way server. You ZEO is gonna be great.

OK, the Plone 2.1 demo server is back up now:

http://marsigli.marine.unc.edu:9080/plone
http://marsigli.marine.unc.edu:9080/plone/Members/cbc/how-i-installed-this-site/

so apparently, the service to restart plone in the recipe worked. :)

To answer the question from "cjj," on the demo site, short names are
turned off by default in Plone 2.1 (they can be enabled by managers), I
think? Plone 2.1 creates short names by lowercasing and hyphenating your
item titles (as well as some other special character replacements). I
left the default for short names the way it was because I wanted to see
how short names would be generated (or maybe it turned it off, I can't
remember). I found that I really like the new short naming generation
much better than the way it worked in Plone 2.05, so I left "no short
names" as the default.

Also, internal linking is not so much of a pain until you realize it is
using UIDs. If you move or rename an internally linked page, all the
internal links follow the UID. You can always external link a folder.
But maybe you might want to file a bug in Plone Collector to say, hey,
let us internal link folders. Idunno whether folders have UIDs or not. I
think internal links are way cool. I think the intended behavior might
be to internal link the index_html of a folder instead of relying on
folder_view.

Finally, last question's answer, the default view for a folder is now
chosen with the "display" pull down in the folder_contents ("choose
content item as default view"). I don't know how it is doing this,
because it is not changing the short id to index_html. Anybody? Has
default view now become a folder property?