[triangle-zpug] RE: triangle-zpug Digest, Vol 29, Issue 3

Dimauro, Frank FDimauro at unch.unc.edu
Thu Sep 8 17:35:32 CEST 2005


+1 for me...

-----Original Message-----
From: triangle-zpug-request at python.net
[mailto:triangle-zpug-request at python.net]
Sent: None
To: triangle-zpug at python.net
Subject: triangle-zpug Digest, Vol 29, Issue 3


Send triangle-zpug mailing list submissions to
	triangle-zpug at starship.python.net

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/triangle-zpug
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	triangle-zpug-request at starship.python.net

You can reach the person managing the list at
	triangle-zpug-owner at starship.python.net

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of triangle-zpug digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Why Python by Eric Raymond (Ben Best)
   2. Vote on proposal: Move TriZPUG meeting date to 4th	Tuesday
      (David Handy)
   3. Re: Vote on proposal: Move TriZPUG meeting date to	4th
      Tuesday (Geoff Davis)
   4. Re: Vote on proposal: Move TriZPUG meeting date to	4th
      Tuesday (George Herndon)
   5. Re: Vote on proposal: Move TriZPUG meeting date to	4th
      Tuesday (Chris Calloway)
   6. Plone 2.1 released (Chris Calloway)
   7. Re: Plone 2.1 released (TJ Stankus)
   8. Re: Plone 2.1 released (Chris Calloway)
   9. Re: Plone 2.1 released (Ben Best)
  10. Re: Plone 2.1 released (Geoff Davis)
  11. Re: Plone 2.1 released (TJ Stankus)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 15:43:00 -0400
From: Ben Best <bbest at duke.edu>
Subject: Re: [triangle-zpug] Why Python by Eric Raymond
To: "Mailing list for North Carolina (Research Triangle area)
	Zope/Python	User Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <a9ca27970509061243794c9fe4 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi Chris,

I recently bumped into a valuable book (code and pdf freely available):

  Python Scripting for Computational Science
  http://folk.uio.no/hpl/scripting

Check out chapter 6: Introduction to GUI Programming.

Cheers, Ben

On 9/6/05, Chris Rossi <chris at spacelabstudio.com> wrote:
> Chris Calloway wrote:
> > http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3882
> >
> Has anybody done much GUI with Python?  What's the best/easiest to
> use/most common toolkit for GUI apps these days?  Also is there de facto
> standard for image manipulation?  All I need to do is read, scale and
> display jpegs.
> 
> Thanks,
> Chris

-- 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ben Best
Associate in Research
A321 LSRC, Box 90328
Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences 
Duke University 
Durham, NC 27708-0328 USA
phone: +1(919)613-8021
fax: +1(919)684-8741
Marine Geospatial Ecology Lab
http://margeo.nicholas.duke.edu



------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 12:25:32 -0400
From: David Handy <david at handysoftware.com>
Subject: [triangle-zpug] Vote on proposal: Move TriZPUG meeting date
	to 4th	Tuesday
To: cbc at unc.edu,	"Mailing list for North Carolina (Research Triangle
	area) Zope/Python	User Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <20050907162532.GA1107 at arno2>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 04:43:08PM -0400, Chris Calloway wrote:
> Chris Calloway wrote:
> >The next one will be Sept 28 in Philips 328 at UNC, I hope.
> 
> And, actually, that might be a misstatement. This came up at the last 
> TriZPUG meeting. We never did hear on the list whether at the July 
> meeting if there was any discussion on David Handy's motion to move 
> meetings to the fourth Tuesday or Thursday of the month, rather than the 
> fourth Wednesday. David, I apologize if the August meeting ignored your 
> effort there. Any word on moving the meeting week night?

Chris, no one has replied yet with an email on this list voting one way or
the other.

To clarify, I prefer Tuesday over Thursday.

I propose that we move the TriZPUG meeting date to the fourth Tuesday.
Please respond to this email and indicate your position according to the
standard Python voting scheme described at
http://www.python.org/dev/process.html

+1 indicates that the poster is in favor of the suggestion.
-1 indicates they're against it.
+0 indicates "I don't care, but go ahead".
-0 means "I don't care, so why bother?".

Thank you,
David Handy



------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:51:53 -0400
From: Geoff Davis <geoff at geoffdavis.net>
Subject: Re: [triangle-zpug] Vote on proposal: Move TriZPUG meeting
	date to	4th Tuesday
To: Mailing list "for North Carolina (Research Triangle area)
	Zope/Python User	Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <1126115513.4043.61.camel at test.phds.org>
Content-Type: text/plain

+0

Tuesday is fine with me (but at the moment so are Wednesday and
Thursday) -- I'm flexible.





------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 13:28:09 -0400
From: George Herndon <gherndon at eyeontech.com>
Subject: Re: [triangle-zpug] Vote on proposal: Move TriZPUG meeting
	date to	4th Tuesday
To: "Mailing list for North Carolina \(Research Triangle area\)
	Zope/Python	User Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <283131CE-736A-4841-93EA-EEC7B329E59E at eyeontech.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed

+0

George Herndon
gherndon at eyeontech.com




------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 15:33:25 -0400
From: Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu>
Subject: [triangle-zpug] Re: Vote on proposal: Move TriZPUG meeting
	date to	4th Tuesday
To: triangle-zpug at python.net
Message-ID: <431F4085.6070005 at unc.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

David Handy wrote:
> I propose that we move the TriZPUG meeting date to the fourth Tuesday.

+0

-- 
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.seacoos.org
office: 17-6 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323
mail: Campus Box #3300, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599





------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:09:00 -0400
From: Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu>
Subject: [triangle-zpug] Plone 2.1 released
To: "Mailing list for North Carolina (Research Triangle area)
	Zope/Python User	Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Cc: triangle at lists.plonebootcamp.com
Message-ID: <431F56EC.6050308 at unc.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

Plone 2.1 (Plaid) was released yesterday:

http://plone.org/products/plone

My favorite new features:

All content types are now Archetypes
Workflow history
Ships with PIL
Kupu
Resource registries
Refactored nav portlet
2x performance increase

-- 
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.seacoos.org
office: 17-6 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323
mail: Campus Box #3300, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599








------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 14:14:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: TJ Stankus <tjstankus at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [triangle-zpug] Plone 2.1 released
To: "Mailing list for North Carolina \(Research Triangle area\)
	Zope/Python	User Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <20050907211431.79586.qmail at web51411.mail.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Interesting. No announcement on the Plone-Dev list, nor on the plone.org
home
page. It just sort of showed up on the downloads page. Maybe they're waiting
for the Windows binaries to make an announcment.

-TJ

--- Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:

> Plone 2.1 (Plaid) was released yesterday:
> 
> http://plone.org/products/plone
> 
> My favorite new features:
> 
> All content types are now Archetypes
> Workflow history
> Ships with PIL
> Kupu
> Resource registries
> Refactored nav portlet
> 2x performance increase
> 
> -- 
> Sincerely,
> 
> Chris Calloway
> http://www.seacoos.org
> office: 17-6 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323
> mail: Campus Box #3300, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> triangle-zpug mailing list
> triangle-zpug at starship.python.net
> http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/triangle-zpug
> 




------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 17:58:21 -0400
From: Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu>
Subject: Re: [triangle-zpug] Plone 2.1 released
To: "Mailing list for North Carolina (Research Triangle area)
	Zope/Python User	Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <431F627D.1050609 at unc.edu>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

TJ Stankus wrote:
> Maybe they're waiting
> for the Windows binaries to make an announcment.

Dunno. Windows binaries are built every night, though:

http://www.enfoldsystems.com/downloads.html

When Andy McKay's Plone book was published, there wasn't a word on 
plone.org about it for three months. So one day, I logged on, created a 
news item about it, and submitted it. Somebody published it:

http://plone.org/newsitems/News_Item.PloneGuidePublished

So, write your own news item and submit it. :)

There's supposedly a team that runs plone.org. Their mailing list hardly 
has any traffic and their wiki hasn't been updated in a year. Maybe they 
are waiting on you to come along and shake things up.

-- 
Sincerely,

Chris Calloway
http://www.seacoos.org
office: 17-6 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323
mail: Campus Box #3300, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599





------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 18:02:42 -0400
From: Ben Best <bbest at duke.edu>
Subject: Re: [triangle-zpug] Plone 2.1 released
To: cbc at unc.edu, 	"Mailing list for North Carolina (Research Triangle
	area) Zope/Python	User Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <a9ca2797050907150241f0f944 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

I'd hold off.

>From http://plone.org/products/plone:
"Windows Installer - Python, Zope and dependencies included (this is
not the final release - coming soon)"

-Ben

On 9/7/05, Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:
> TJ Stankus wrote:
> > Maybe they're waiting
> > for the Windows binaries to make an announcment.
> 
> Dunno. Windows binaries are built every night, though:
> 
> http://www.enfoldsystems.com/downloads.html
> 
> When Andy McKay's Plone book was published, there wasn't a word on
> plone.org about it for three months. So one day, I logged on, created a
> news item about it, and submitted it. Somebody published it:
> 
> http://plone.org/newsitems/News_Item.PloneGuidePublished
> 
> So, write your own news item and submit it. :)
> 
> There's supposedly a team that runs plone.org. Their mailing list hardly
> has any traffic and their wiki hasn't been updated in a year. Maybe they
> are waiting on you to come along and shake things up.
> 
> --
> Sincerely,
> 
> Chris Calloway
> http://www.seacoos.org
> office: 17-6 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323
> mail: Campus Box #3300, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> triangle-zpug mailing list
> triangle-zpug at starship.python.net
> http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/triangle-zpug
> 


-- 
Ben Best
Associate in Research
A321 LSRC, Box 90328
Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences 
Duke University 
Durham, NC 27708-0328 USA
phone: +1(919)613-8021
fax: +1(919)684-8741
Marine Geospatial Ecology Lab
http://margeo.nicholas.duke.edu



------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 18:15:56 -0400
From: Geoff Davis <geoff at geoffdavis.net>
Subject: Re: [triangle-zpug] Plone 2.1 released
To: Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu>,	Mailing list "for North Carolina
	(Research Triangle area) Zope/Python User	Group"
	<triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <1126131357.4043.94.camel at test.phds.org>
Content-Type: text/plain

While we do want people to take the initiative, in this case people are
actually on top of things.  Here's what Limi wrote to the plone-users
list:

Subject:      Plone 2.1 released - calm before the storm ;)
From:         "Alexander Limi" <limi-
z4DKO/sx8wnYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>
Newsgroups:   gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.user
Date:         Wed, 07 Sep 2005 03:58:56 +0200

Hi,

As most of you have probably discovered, Plone 2.1 has had a soft
release  
today - meaning that the final code is tagged, and the tarball is  
available at http://plone.org/download (and yes, the change log for 2.1
is  
2200 lines lines long - makes for perfect bedtime reading ;)

The full release will happen in a few days when the Windows and Mac OS
X  
installers are available, and the marketing material, press release
and  
upgrade/migration docs are ready. We would also like to make sure you
do  
not submit the news of the release to news sites before we are ready
with  
the full installers and documentation, so we can maximize the impact
and  
let newcomers have a good impression of Plone. You can keep a secret
for  
the community, right? ;)

I'd like to use this pre-announcement to encourage those of you who
know  
how to install from the tarball to give the new release a go, and to  
extend a big THANK YOU to all of the people from the Plone Team that
made  
this release happen. It's the culmination of over a year of hard work,
and  
it's the most awesome Plone release yet. You all rock, and I hope to
see  
as many of you as possible at the Plone Conference 2005 in Vienna!

Plone 2.1 is ready to take on the world!


PS: As-it-is-progressing documentation on what's new in Plone 2.1 can
be  
found here: http://plone.org/documentation/whatsnew/2.1 (still not
done,  
but has some details)

On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 17:58 -0400, Chris Calloway wrote:
> TJ Stankus wrote:
> > Maybe they're waiting
> > for the Windows binaries to make an announcment.
> 
> Dunno. Windows binaries are built every night, though:
> 
> http://www.enfoldsystems.com/downloads.html
> 
> When Andy McKay's Plone book was published, there wasn't a word on 
> plone.org about it for three months. So one day, I logged on, created a 
> news item about it, and submitted it. Somebody published it:
> 
> http://plone.org/newsitems/News_Item.PloneGuidePublished
> 
> So, write your own news item and submit it. :)
> 
> There's supposedly a team that runs plone.org. Their mailing list hardly 
> has any traffic and their wiki hasn't been updated in a year. Maybe they 
> are waiting on you to come along and shake things up.
> 




------------------------------

Message: 11
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 15:30:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: TJ Stankus <tjstankus at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [triangle-zpug] Plone 2.1 released
To: "Mailing list for North Carolina \(Research Triangle area\)
	Zope/Python	User Group" <triangle-zpug at python.net>
Message-ID: <20050907223015.20305.qmail at web51406.mail.yahoo.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1

Ahh, I missed this. I've been following the Plone-Dev list more closely than
Plone-Users. At any rate, I'm glad it's here. Kudos to all who worked to
make
it happen.

-TJ

--- Geoff Davis <geoff at geoffdavis.net> wrote:

> While we do want people to take the initiative, in this case people are
> actually on top of things.  Here's what Limi wrote to the plone-users
> list:
> 
> Subject:      Plone 2.1 released - calm before the storm ;)
> From:         "Alexander Limi" <limi-
> z4DKO/sx8wnYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org>
> Newsgroups:   gmane.comp.web.zope.plone.user
> Date:         Wed, 07 Sep 2005 03:58:56 +0200
> 
> Hi,
> 
> As most of you have probably discovered, Plone 2.1 has had a soft
> release  
> today - meaning that the final code is tagged, and the tarball is  
> available at http://plone.org/download (and yes, the change log for 2.1
> is  
> 2200 lines lines long - makes for perfect bedtime reading ;)
> 
> The full release will happen in a few days when the Windows and Mac OS
> X  
> installers are available, and the marketing material, press release
> and  
> upgrade/migration docs are ready. We would also like to make sure you
> do  
> not submit the news of the release to news sites before we are ready
> with  
> the full installers and documentation, so we can maximize the impact
> and  
> let newcomers have a good impression of Plone. You can keep a secret
> for  
> the community, right? ;)
> 
> I'd like to use this pre-announcement to encourage those of you who
> know  
> how to install from the tarball to give the new release a go, and to  
> extend a big THANK YOU to all of the people from the Plone Team that
> made  
> this release happen. It's the culmination of over a year of hard work,
> and  
> it's the most awesome Plone release yet. You all rock, and I hope to
> see  
> as many of you as possible at the Plone Conference 2005 in Vienna!
> 
> Plone 2.1 is ready to take on the world!
> 
> 
> PS: As-it-is-progressing documentation on what's new in Plone 2.1 can
> be  
> found here: http://plone.org/documentation/whatsnew/2.1 (still not
> done,  
> but has some details)
> 
> On Wed, 2005-09-07 at 17:58 -0400, Chris Calloway wrote:
> > TJ Stankus wrote:
> > > Maybe they're waiting
> > > for the Windows binaries to make an announcment.
> > 
> > Dunno. Windows binaries are built every night, though:
> > 
> > http://www.enfoldsystems.com/downloads.html
> > 
> > When Andy McKay's Plone book was published, there wasn't a word on 
> > plone.org about it for three months. So one day, I logged on, created a 
> > news item about it, and submitted it. Somebody published it:
> > 
> > http://plone.org/newsitems/News_Item.PloneGuidePublished
> > 
> > So, write your own news item and submit it. :)
> > 
> > There's supposedly a team that runs plone.org. Their mailing list hardly

> > has any traffic and their wiki hasn't been updated in a year. Maybe they

> > are waiting on you to come along and shake things up.
> > 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> triangle-zpug mailing list
> triangle-zpug at starship.python.net
> http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/triangle-zpug
> 




------------------------------

_______________________________________________
triangle-zpug mailing list
triangle-zpug at starship.python.net
http://starship.python.net/mailman/listinfo/triangle-zpug


End of triangle-zpug Digest, Vol 29, Issue 3
********************************************






More information about the triangle-zpug mailing list