[triangle-zpug] Why Python by Eric Raymond

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Wed Sep 7 01:00:47 CEST 2005

Brad Oaks wrote:
> ( The nonprofit I volunteer with is headed towards using plone.  I'm
> interested in learning how to backup an instance, and if there is an
> way to have a staging instance for development, and then easily launch
> or sync to a production site -- code and content. )

I think Jerry McRae's last two TriZPUG presentations covered some of
this. There might be more on the web about it after he presents it Plone
Conference:

http://www.zope.org/Members/1jerry/

Backup: the repozo.py script is part of more recent Zope tarballs:

http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FileStorageBackup

Many folks repozo and then rsync.

There are various Plone staging projects in various states of undress. A
lot of folks are depending on Zope 3 to eventually fix everything in
staging/versioning departments. I've done all kinds of things including
moving a Data.fs from development to production, exporting/importing a
pickle of an entire Plone site, WebDAV, FTP, and PloneDesktop.

A lot of work has gone on with:

http://plone.org/products/cmfeditions

which includes the current state of CMFStaging and ZopeVersionControl.

You can stage code through the filesystem. A tool that can help is:

http://www.zope.org/Members/tseaver/FSDump

There are some content deployment products. I'm not crazy about
CMFDeployment (it's a framework rather than a finished product), but
here it is:

http://plone.org/events/regional/nola05/collateral/CMFDeploymentNola2005.pdf

The current best practice seems to be code on the filesystem (thus,
traditional staging/versioning tools), content in the ZODB (thus,
various hairy staging schemes). The thinking, in proper separation of
content from evertything else, is content is contributed by users and
users use the production system, so why they heck would anybody stage
content in any way other than workflow? I think the practice is, few
sites are that collaborative, with content development happening along
with code development (using a CMS as a framework instead of as a CMS).

You might be able to make use of this (does anybody know what happened
to CMFExtFile?):

http://www.zope.org/Members/MacGregor/ExtFile

This project is ancient:

http://www.zope.org/Members/andym/ZSyncer