[triangle-zpug] Camp Five Reading

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Thu Nov 3 19:45:23 CET 2005

Mike Revoir wrote:
> On 9/28/05, Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu <mailto:cbc at unc.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Camp Five participants will have pre-camp homework consisting of at
>     least a) reading a Zope 3 book (either Stephan Richter's or Philipp von
>     Weitershausen's), b) completing the online Five Tutorial, c) completing
>     a Five or Zope3 based product that meets certain criteria including unit
>     tests, and d) completing a high level design for an assigned sprint
>     project to be implemented at the sprint.
>
> Does anyone have a recommendation for one of the books over the other?

Stephan's is kinda cook-booky but simpler.

Philipp's is pretty amazing IF a) you can afford it ($59), b) you can
get it (imported; takes at least a couple of weeks from Amazon), c) you
have the time for something that intensely technical. The great things
about Philipp's is that it is insanely well supported at the ironically
named:

http://www.worldcookery.com/

Worldcookery is kind of the Plone answer to Ruby on Rails, if you ask
me. Not as dumbed down. But way more comprehensive.

You could do well to start at the "Appetizers" page of that site:

http://www.worldcookery.com/Appetizers

Philipps fine PloneCon tutorial is also now online:

http://plone.org/newsitems/five-tutorial-online

Philipp did give one caveat at PloneCon about his book. There have been
*rapidly* changing approaches to improving the Python/Zope/CMF/Plone
stack prompted by Project GoldEgg. Phillip said if he'd known now what
he knew back when he wrote his book, he would have approached many
solutions presented in his book much differently. I don't know
differently how. That's a question I'd like to ask him if I see him again.

I have both. But I recommend Phillip's if I have to choose. One other
thing about Phillip's. Springer is a very huge publisher of very
technical, mostly mathematical, expensive texts. They don't publish
trash. They publish Phillip's book in hardcover only. I expected a good
binding. When I opened it for the first time, a page fell out.