[triangle-zpug] (Meta) Why don't you attend TriZPUG meetings?

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Fri Mar 4 02:34:43 CET 2005

I'm replying to a month-old email, please read below.

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 09:42:23AM -0500, Tom Bryan wrote:
> On Thursday 03 February 2005 05:19 pm, David Handy wrote:
>
> > However, a reason in general that I haven't attended much is that I'm more
> > into Python than Zope/Plone.
>
> Me, too.  You'll notice that since the founding of the TriZPUG in Sep 2002,
> I've given four our presentations focused on rather non-Zope topics:
> unit testing (Jan 2005)
> wxPython (Sep 2004)
> socket programming (Dec 2003)
> unit testing (Nov 2002)
>
> I'd love to have someone volunteer (hint, hint) to give a talk on one or more
> of the following more Pythonish topics:

Point taken. I need to show up and contribute!

> ... (several topics)
>
> Python language changes since 1.5.2.  I just recently learned list
> comprehensions, and I still haven't learned new style classes. :-)

I'm willing to present on new-style classes. I've had a good experience
lately using new-style classes with a multiple-inheritance class hierarchy,
using the "cooperative superclass" feature. This completely blows away
anything Java has! (Or any other programming language I've used.)

> ... (several topics)
>
> Remote Python Objects (PYRO, CORBA, etc.)

I've done some comparison of remote-python frameworks, with simple
benchmarks, that I'd be willing to present to any interested.

> And that's just off the top of my head...
>
> I have no shortage of ideas for non-Zope and non-Plone topics for user group
> meetings.  I just have a shortage of people who are interested in giving such
> talks.  :)

Is the next meeting March 23? Finally, it appears there are no conflicts
this month, I should really be there this time. Honest. And I'm already
prepared to show stuff.

> > I use Python every day at work, but haven't touched Zope nor Plone.
>
> Understood.
>
> Of course, I've done about 4 or 5 weeks of Python development at work in the
> last 5 *years*.  When I have used Python at work, it's only been for
> internal/tool use while I'm developing in another language.  I have never
> used Zope or Plone at work.
>
> I just happen to like Python, and I like the people who attend our TriZPUG
> meetings.  It's fun to hear what other people are working on, and I find the
> conversation and the diverse perspectives interesting.  The group is small
> enough that the meetings are more like discussions than lectures, so it's
> always a fun gathering.  I'm not sure whether I come to the meetings because
> I enjoy the social aspect of it or because I just like to glare enviously at
> all of the people who get to use Python professionally.  ;-)
>
> ---Tom

I'm afraid I gave you the wrong impression here. I only get to use Python
for "infrastructure" work, mostly test related. There just happens to be a
fair amount of infrastructure-related "script work". The product development
work I do is all in Java.

Anyway, I've only been to one meeting so far, but I really enjoyed it, and
I'm looking forward to meeting with more of you soon.

David H.