[triangle-zpug] June meeting

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Jul 1 00:19:22 CEST 2005

Last night's meeting had ten people including three newcomers. If you
are new, please sound off here on this list. There was a demo of Plone
Desktop (http://www.enfoldsystems.com/Products/Desktop) and a
presentation of 1Z Instant Instances (http://www.zope.org/Members/1jerry).

Jerry, we'd be glad for you to upload your presentation to your home
page on http://trizpug.org. All newcomers should join the site and
create your home page bio/upload you photo.

You can register with Enfold and download the Windows client portion of
Plone Desktop from http://www.enfoldsystems.com/Products/Desktop. Then
you can install and use it on TriZPUG.org, where the server component of
Plone Desktop is already waiting to talk to you.

David Handy made a suggestion to move meetings to fourth Tuesdays so he
could continue to participate. There was no objection. I believe he will
post here to get more feedback from you.

Several people from Raleigh were present, indicating that we should
possibly still continue to meet at NCSU on the rotation. Thomas Wilson,
would you be up for that in July?

More discussion about Python Boot Camp occurred. David Handy inquired to
what our audience for the camp would be like and whether his Computer
Programming Is Fun text (http://handysoftware.com/cpif/) would be
appropriate. CPIF is aimed at the non-programmer. We also walked through
the contents of Dive Into Python, which introduces object orientation,
but is aimed possibly a little higher, with ventures into XML and SOAP,
etc..

So it has occurred to me that there may be more than one audience for
Python Boot Camp. David is very interested in instructing. Any ideas
about how to go about finding and attracting an audience for a Python
Boot Camp for non-programmers? There could be a separate Python Boot
Camp for IT Pros, which is what I'm more interested in. Ideas? Comments?

OK, I started the Python Boot Camp Wiki like I said I would do a month
ago. Sorry it took so long:

http://trizpug.org/pycamp/wiki/

You will need to login to use it. Current site members have been made
manager/owners of the folder. Drop me a line if you joining for the
first time so you can be added to the authorized group. I may automate
this is the future with CMFMember workflow actions, but not now. Please
respect the responsibility that comes with added permissions.

This wiki is *subscribable*. That is, click on the "subscribe" tab on
the wiki while logged in. Either subscribe to the wiki page you are
looking at, or subscribe to the entire wiki. The subscribe policy is set
to "edits." That is, you will get an email for every edit to a page
instead of just upon page creation.

To manage this amount of email, all the reply-to address from this week
will be set to pycamp at trizpug.org. You can filter that reply-to address
to a folder. Additionally, if you only want to see new page creations,
the string "[new]" is suffixed to end of the subject line of new page
creations, so you can further filter on that as well. All subscription
email subject lines start with the name of the page being edited
enclosed in brackets (i.e. "[FrontPage]" or "[FrontPage] [new]").

OK, please go wiki crazy now, and if you need a place to practice your
bow hunting^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h wiki skills, go to:

http://trizpug.org/wiki/SandBox