[triangle-zpug] Summary of January 2005 Meeting

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Jan 27 15:13:10 CET 2005

The topic of last night's meeting was "Unit Testing in Python and Plone."
Jim, Chris, Christine, Ben, Scott, Thomas, and I attended the meeting.  (I
hope that I didn't forget anyone!) We wasted some time as I fiddled with
my machine, trying to get everything working for the projector and the
PloneTestCase (see below for the real fix).  There was also a good 30 - 60
minutes of discussion about the boot camp, the sprint, and what people have
been doing since then with Plone.

The presentation part of the meeting concerning unit testing ran *much* longer
than I had anticipated, but that was largely due to very lively participation
from the entire group.  Those who couldn't attend the meeting really missed
out!  I'll be making all of the material I used during the talk available,
but I think that the questions and discussion during and after the
presentation were excellent and really added a lot of valuable content beyond
what was in my slides.  (Of course, they also added over an hour onto the
meeting--thanks to Thomas for hanging out so late!)

Some updates for those who were there:

* The minimal skin on the filesystem that I heard about on #plone is
ExampleFileSystemSkin.  See the documentation at
http://plone.org/documentation/howto/creating-custom-skins
This product is even tinier than the MySite tutorial.  It really looks like
the most minimal filesystem product that you can imagine.  Just one ZPT and
just enough other stuff to get the installation and product screens in the
ZMI and Plone to work well.

* I finally realized why we weren't able to run the PloneHelpCenter tests.  I
put the wrong version of ZopeTestCase on the CD-ROM.  I forgot that I had the
same problem during the sprint, prompting Stefan to tell me that "releases are
for users; CVS is for developers."  The version of ZopeTestCase that works
with PloneTestCase is not released.  You have to get it from CVS.  Sorry
about that: I should have spent a bit more time preparing for the talk.  I
realized the problem when I went back to Linux to check that I was using the
same revision and noticed that ZopeTestCase on my Linux system was CVS
sandbox.  You'll need to delete the ZopeTestCase folder that we created last
night and "checkout" or "export" ZopeTestCase from the Collective CVS
repository and put it under the $ZOPE_HOME/lib/python/Testing/ folder.  Then
you should be able to run the PloneHelpCenter and other tests.

* I'm working on generating the list of links that I promised.  I'll probably
post it on my pages at trizpug.org later this week.