[triangle-zpug] Fwd: Google Job Posting

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Thu Feb 24 12:17:08 CET 2005

A Google recruiter asked to have some of their openings posted to our list.

Subject: Google Job Posting
Date: Saturday 19 February 2005 12:11 am
From: "mdove" <mdove at google.com>

Hello. I'm a recruiter from Google.  I am trying to get the word out to as
many skilled Python experts as possible about open Python related positions
at Google in either Mountain View, or Dublin, Ireland.  If there is anyway
that you can spread the word that we are seeking them, we would really
appreciate your help.  I've pasted two job descriptions below in which
Python experts with a networking background may qualify for.  I'm not sure
if you would consider posting these positions on your board.  If it's
possible I would greatly appreciate it.

This is such a great opportunity, and Google is seeking the very best
Engineers from around the world and I feel there must be dozens of Python
experts out there.  I'm hoping I can find some of them through networking
with you.   If you happen to know of anyone that may be interested, please
feel free to forward this email to them and have them contact me directly.
[...some text cut...]

Marianne Dove
Google Recruiter
650-623-6814
mdove at google.com

Job #1

Engineering Hands-On Technical Manager/Director Google.com
Mountain View, California or Dublin, Ireland

Are you the kind of Manager that is just as highly technical as the staff
you manage in Software Development?  Although strategic management is part
of this job the technical competence of this manager/director is key in this
role.

Do you presently have expert coding ability and in-depth knowledge of
algorithms?

We're looking for a highly technical, hands-on Engineer or Operations
Manager to lead a team of 4-10+ Google software engineers and systems
administrators for the Google.com group. The Google.com teams are directly
responsible for Google's stellar uptime record, and act as the guardians and
custodians of Google's user-visible services. In this leadership role, you
will be responsible for ensuring that Google users can always reach and use
all of the services under your team's care.

Positions based in Mountain View, CA or Dublin, Ireland.
Relocation a must-relocation assistance provided.

Requirements:
.Expert coding ability in any of the following languages: Python, C++, C,
Java, Perl, PHP, or Shell.
.Very high technical competence and strong academic record.
.BA/BS in Computer Science; MS / Ph.D. a plus.
.In-depth knowledge of algorithms
.Unix platform experience.

.Deep understanding of networking ie: understanding of how to isolate,
diagnose, and resolve service delivery components (service delivery
components include servers, networks, and applications); be familiar with
the functionality, operating, and failure modes of key networking devices
(routers, switches, bridges, firewalls, hardware load balancers); be able to
identify networking as the potential cause of a service issue using
server-resident tools to generate this data (i.e. tcpdump, ping, traceroute,
etc.); familiarity in interpreting the output of these tools; familiarity
with common network topologies, protocols, and tools; have some notion of
common network security exploits -- and their remedies; understanding of
troubleshooting at the packet level

. Candidate must be able to "talk the talk" and "walk the walk" at very
technical meetings understanding the nature of problems in scale and
complexity and be able to have the verbal agility to communicate to
technically astute teams across the company.
.Experienced in an internet application service environment preferable.
.3-10+ years of relevant hands-on experience managing software development
and/or operations teams.
.Strong project management skills, especially in deploying live end-user
systems.
.That rare mix of intelligence, integrity, domain knowledge, verbal agility,
and diplomacy which allows you to rapidly earn the trust of
technically-astute teams across the company.

For immediate consideration, please send a text (ASCII) or HTML or PDF
version of your resume to:

mdove at google.com.

Job#2

Senior Unix Systems Administrator/Architect with heavy coding skills,
Google.com (SRE)
Positions based in Mountain View, CA or Dublin, Ireland.

Requirements:

.Expert coding and troubleshooting in any of the following languages:
Python, C, C++, Java, Shell, Perl, PHP
.3+ years Senior level Unix system administration experience.

.Deep understanding of networking ie: understanding of how to isolate,
diagnose, and resolve service delivery components (service delivery
components include servers, networks, and applications); be familiar with
the functionality, operating, and failure modes of key networking devices
(routers, switches, bridges, firewalls, hardware load balancers); be able to
identify networking as the potential cause of a service issue using
server-resident tools to generate this data (i.e. tcpdump, ping, traceroute,
etc.); familiarity in interpreting the output of these tools; familiarity
with common network topologies, protocols, and tools; have some notion of
common network security exploits -- and their remedies; understanding of
troubleshooting at the packet level

.In-depth knowledge of scripting.
.Experience with MySQL a plus.
.BA/BS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline or equivalent
experience.
.Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment.

.Are you a detail-oriented systems professional, seasoned Unix/Linux jockey,
Internet services architect, database whiz, performance analyst, or software
engineer, at the top of your game?
.Looking for the next cool problem to solve, in a fast-paced and
engineering-driven environment?
.Can you write a script or application that performs practically the entire
job you once held earlier in your career?
.Does your idea of a good time involve taking things apart just to see how
they work? Are you successful putting them back together when you're done?
.Can you help achieve increased Availability, Reliability, Uptime, and
Quality? (for our systems and services, naturally)
If you answered "Yes" to more than three of the above questions, you may
have what it takes. Keep reading.

Google.com Engineers are involved in all aspects of running our site. From
design to debug, from architecture to applications, Google.com engineers
spend their time troubleshooting problems in large-scale clustered
application service environments, and focus on making continual improvements
to our services.

Working for Google.com, you will wear many hats: performance analyst,
service architect, system/database administrator, capacity planner, tools
developer, monitoring expert, and technical evangelist, for all components
of Google.com's services.

This position requires a passion for problem solving, deep understanding of
networks, operating systems, multi-tiered Internet services, and the ability
to learn new applications and concepts quickly. Strong scripting skills are
essential.