[triangle-zpug] (Meta) Why don't you attend TriZPUG meetings?

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Fri Feb 4 00:02:38 CET 2005

Tom Bryan wrote:
> Is there something that we could do to entice more people to the meetings?  Is
> 4th Wednesday of the month a bad night?  Is the time too early or late
> (meetings currently run from 7:00 - 9:30 or so)?  Are you just never planning
> to attend a TriZPUG meeting?

I think the times and places are fine.

I asked three boot campers if they were coming to the meeting the day of
the last one. Two of them just looked amused and the third, who's been a
professional programmer for about twenty years and whom I gathered was
speaking for the other two, said computers were not her hobby, she had
never been to a user group meeting in her life, and she wasn't about to
start now.

If it's a matter of Zope vs Python, 7 of 17 TriZPUG programs have been
about Python, the rest about Zope or Plone. Idunno. That isn't half
about Python. But it's only about one shy of half. If I go to TriJUG,
there aren't going to be many talks on just Java except when a new
version is released with new features. It's going to be mostly about
some J2EE framework API or another. (It's like my old boss said, "Who
would go to a user group just about a language you can learn in a couple
of days?") So I think we do at least as well as TriJUG as far as
splitting our time between language and app server. The programs at
TriZPUG appear to be driven by folks willing to give a program. PyCon is
coming up, so that may produce a rash of more Python driven programs at
TriZPUG. I'm willing to come to either Python or Zope programs.

I'm really happy with our user group, our attendance, our meetings, our
programs, our locations, our times, our people, everything. I think one
thing with our last meeting was that it was in the same month as boot
camp. But then, I was not at all displeased with our last meeting. I'd
go every month if it was just like the last program. I get more good
stuff for my job out of going to TriZPUG than anywhere else.