[triangle-zpug] Last night's meeting

Ben Best bbest at duke.edu
Wed Dec 7 23:36:10 CET 2005

Ditto.  The ArchGenXML talk by Mike was wicked cool, splendiferous and
more!  I've downloaded the latest Poseidon and will be building a new site
in UML before all those handy tricks leak out of my brain.  And I've already
used Psyco, which noticeably improved the running time of my scripts and
couldn't be simpler to implement -- thanks for another great lightning talk
Geoff!

One more shout out of thanks to Chris for hosting and for your routine
summary of the evening.  I'll similarly post reviews for meetings at Duke.
Speaking of which, Robert Petrusz has made excellent progress on potentially
scoring luxurious digs for the Duke hosting.  Will keep you posted.

You all make technology easier, slicker and mo' fun!

Have a great holiday, Ben

On 12/7/05, Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu> wrote:

> Very successful meeting last night. We had 15 in attendance including
> many first timers. Bill Tolbert won the "drove the farthest" award for
> coming from SC, although I'm sure Mark Biggers still holds the "most
> miles racked up" award. I heard about many Plone projects I had no idea
> were taking place.
>
> Mike Revoir's ArchGenXml presentation was god-like. I've seen AGX
> presented at least five times before. This was by far the best. For one,
> I had no idea AGX had come so far along since the last Castle Sprint. If
> you haven't done AGX in awhile, you should check it out again. For two,
> Mike gave some pretty compelling reasons why you use AGX (helps migrate
> your content types between Plone versions; your business *is* your
> model), which is something I haven't heard anyone do before. For three,
> Mike showed some pretty great proficiency with AGX. His presentation is
> here:
>
> https://plone.dcri.duke.edu/presentations/agx_development/
>
> Mike, would you mind making a copy of that content in your home folder
> on trizpug.org?
>
> Geoff's presentation on psyco proved just how much information you can
> impart in ten minutes. Really great model for presenting. Plus, psyco is
> cool. Speedup factor of 9x for intensive number crunching. 32-bit x86
> only.
>
> Geoff, is your presentation/example code available for posting?
>
> Everyone should give a presentation like Geoff's about the little
> details you discover working with Python.
>
> There was a bull shooting session afterwards at Woody's on Franklin
> Street.
>
> Next meeting at Duke in late January. I think Ben is going to get some
> help from Robert Petrusz on Duke hosting and here may be a change of
> meeting location on Duke campus to somewhere more accessible. But I'll
> leave that to them, including posting meeting notices, etc.. :)
>
> --
> Sincerely,
>
> Chris Calloway
> http://www.seacoos.org
> office: 17-6 Venable Hall   phone: (919) 962-4323
> mail: Campus Box #3300, UNC-CH, Chapel Hill, NC 27599

Ben Best
Associate in Research
A321 LSRC, Box 90328
Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708-0328 USA
phone: +1(919)613-8021
fax: +1(919)684-8741