[triangle-zpug] editors for python - customizable

TJ Stankus tjstankus at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 1 18:37:01 CET 2005

I feel now like I should clarify my thoughts on jEdit a bit. The reason I
mostly stopped using is twofold:

- Swing's problems with the video card in my Thinkpad. Once I got it all
straightened out a new version of Java screwed it up again. I got sick of
dealing with it.
- I spend a good bit of time on Macs these days and I'm happy with Textmate,
so no need to try jEdit out on Mac.

One other thing to point out about jEdit is Abbreviations, which you can use
for text expansion macros. These are cool and powerful. I'm doing this all
from memory, so forgive me if I'm a bit off. You can setup Abbreviations to be
triggered by the spacebar. One example of a handy abbreviation that I used all
the time with Zope Page Templates was 'sptr ', which expanded to <span
tal:replace="" /> and put the cursor between the quotes. Another example - you
could use Abbreviations to do {} matching for languages that use brackets. You
could really go crazy with abbreviations. This is doable in other editors, in
different ways.

The one killer feature of jEdit that I haven't seen elsewhere, though, is
multiple select. CTRL-\ to toggle it, I think. Really super useful for things
like converting text to html. Select all the paragraphs, individually, then
put <p></p> tags around each in just a couple keystrokes.

Chris is right about the lack of Zope External Editor with jEdit. You can
generally work around it by FTP'ing into Zope from jEdit, if you don't mind
doing that. Even then, with customized content objects, things can get a
little painful.

HTH.

-TJ