[triangle-zpug] editors for python - customizable

Chris Rossi chris at spacelabstudio.com
Thu Dec 1 18:03:21 CET 2005

Chris Calloway wrote:

> jEdit is not a good choice for use with Zope External Editor, however,
> as it is in that class of editor which operates by "detaching itself
> from the controlling process." The formal name for that is "MDI" or
> "Multiple Document Interface." There is a jEdit "server" process which
> gets a message from a new launcher process each time you fire up a new
> file to edit from the command line. The launcher process ends after
> messaging the server with the new file to edit. Zope External Editor,
> which makes use of a command shell to start an editor, doesn't like
> this. Zope External Editor just thinks your editor died right after
> starting, because all it knows about is the launcher process. Most good
> editors are MDIs, however.

There's a command line option that tells JEdit to keep the process
running until you close the buffer.  Just for this purpose.  I forget
the option, but it's in the command line help.  I've used JEdit with
external edit quite happily using this.

chris
--
http://christophermrossi.com                       +1 919 403 5502