[triangle-zpug] TriZPUG September Meeting: wxPython and Boa Constructor

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Mon Sep 27 06:34:13 CEST 2004

The Triangle Zope/Python User Group (TriZPUG) will hold its next meeting
on Wednesday, September 29, at 7:00 p.m. in Raleigh, NC.  We will be meeting
in the DELTA conference room(s) at Venture III, who has kindly permitted
us to use their meeting room, on NCSU's Centennial Campus.  Directions to
Venture III are below.  This month, Tom Bryan will be talking about Boa
Constructor and wxPython.

Note that we're back at NCSU this month and that we'll try starting at 7:00
instead of 6:30.

Hope to see you there!

Title: wxPython and Boa Constructor
===================================
This presentation will be an introduction to the wxPython module, which
gives you access to the cross platform (Windows, Mac, *nix) wxWidgets
library of components for writing GUIs.  We'll discuss a bit about how
a wxPython application looks (both the GUI and the source code).  The
talk will include practical issues such as licenses, packaging, and where
to get the software to set up the development environment.

Once we're all comfortable with wxPython itself, we'll move on to
Boa Constructor, a Python IDE and visual GUI builder that uses wxPython.
We might even coordinate a live demo of Boa Constructor during the talk.

Time permitting (both for me to prepare it now and for me to present it
during the talk), we may also discuss the following topics: comparison of
wxPython with other Python GUI toolkits (pyGTK, pyQt, Tkinter), a Zope
product for debugging with Boa Constructor, and other packages/options
related to wxPython (such as GUI builders other than Boa Constructor).

Directions to the TriZPUG Meeting:
If you need directions to NCSU's Centennial Campus, try the following link
http://centennial.ncsu.edu/howtogethere/htgh.htm
If you need directions to the Venture III building, follow this link
http://delta.ncsu.edu/lts/about/directions.cfm, but skip step #3 since the
meeting is after hours.

For more about TriZPUG: