[triangle-zpug] December meeting

Ben Best bbest at duke.edu
Wed Nov 24 07:42:01 CET 2004

Hi Chris et al,

This is great news to hear finalization of the Plone Boot Camp!  Please
count on two seats (minimum) from our lab.  My supervisor, Pat Halpin, will
be attending a meeting (http://www.vliz.be/obi) which may generate more
interest in Plone, and possibly boot camp sponsorship.

For the Dec 8th meeting I could discuss technical implementation of Plone
on our site (http://seamap.env.duke.edu), particularly connectivity to a
(PostgreSQL) database and dynamic content migration (from PHP scripts).  I
could also discuss how Plone/Zope/Python might fit into the future of the
(mostly marine) biogeographic communities (http://www.iobis.org,
http://www.gbif.org/serv/gbif-tools).

Also at the last meeting, there was the question of how to change skins
based on the folder location in Plone.  Hopefully this link will help:
http://plone.org/documentation-old/howto/HowToSelectASkinByURL.  The
documentation on Plone.org has recently changed in format, so it's worth
another browse.

Cheers, Ben Best

--On Tuesday, November 23, 2004 2:25 PM -0500 Chris Calloway <cbc at unc.edu>
wrote:

> Paolo Mangiafico wrote:
>  > Either date is fine for me.
>
> After two days for feedback, I'm declaring it Dec. 8.
>
> I have a fall back speaker (not me) and technical topic if no one else
> steps forward in the meantime. But I'd like for someone to step forward,
> because this speaker is very busy and gets called on a lot already. We
> should save his ability to make great presentations at the drop of a hat
> for when we really need it. In looking over our visitor log
> (http://zope.org/Members/tbryan/TriZPUG/VisitorLog), I see lots of
> TriZPUG people doing very interesting things with Python.
>
>  > Any news about dates and logistics for the Plone boot camp?
>
> Yep. Just nailed some things down yesterday. Mon Jan 3 - Fri 7 for Boot
> Camp. Sprint Sat Jan 8 - Sun 9. Joel Burton from the Plone Foundation
> will be facilitating. The cost will be between $100-$200 per seat. There
> will be 35 seats. The classroom will be 328 Phillips Hall on UNC campus.
> The classroom has hard-wired ethernet connections at each seat. You will
> need to bring a laptop and ethernet cable. I will need to know your MAC
> address in advance. We will not be screwing around with wireless (because
> it ruins every conference for at least half the attendees and I can't
> spend Boot Camp time trying to support it). I think we would like to have
> institutional sponsorships, also, that would come with seats in the class
> and would help drive down the overall cost for everybody.
>
> It's pretty certain at this point that the audience for the course is to
> take web developers with a sprinkling of knowledge of Python expressions
> who have installed Zope for the fun of it at least once, and turn them
> into pretty good Plone content type developers within one week. Can you
> dig it? Anyway, we had a choice to make: gear it for content developers
> or content type developers. Although there are maybe more people who need
> content developer training at this point, that's not anything that can't
> be gleaned by reading a book already in existence. I think from our many
> discussions, the training barrier has been moving beyond that, and so
> that's where the Boot Camp is going to focus. Once we train all you
> hardcore content type developers, you can fan out and teach your
> respective organizations about basic content management, anyway.
>
> I think some good preparation for Boot Camp can be found here:
>
> http://trizpug.org/up-to-speed/
>
> There's your holiday reading program.
>
> For TriZPUG to be a sponsor, I'd like to ask that we use trizpug.org as a
> promotional and signup vehicle for the Boot Camp, if that works out with
> the Plone Foundation. I'd put a paypal registration type of application
> there if it's OK with y'all.
>
> What you can help with is *don't be bashful* and state here as soon as
> possible your earnest interest in having a seat, how many seats your
> institution will need, and if your institution would be interested in a
> [...]

Ben Best
Associate Researcher
A321 LSRC, Box 90328
Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences
Duke University
Durham, NC 27708
phone: 919-613-8021
fax: 919-684-8741