[triangle-zpug] December meeting

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Tue Nov 23 20:25:00 CET 2004

Paolo Mangiafico wrote:
 > Either date is fine for me.

After two days for feedback, I'm declaring it Dec. 8.

I have a fall back speaker (not me) and technical topic if no one else
steps forward in the meantime. But I'd like for someone to step forward,
because this speaker is very busy and gets called on a lot already. We
should save his ability to make great presentations at the drop of a hat
for when we really need it. In looking over our visitor log
(http://zope.org/Members/tbryan/TriZPUG/VisitorLog), I see lots of
TriZPUG people doing very interesting things with Python.

 > Any news about dates and logistics for the Plone boot camp?

Yep. Just nailed some things down yesterday. Mon Jan 3 - Fri 7 for Boot
Camp. Sprint Sat Jan 8 - Sun 9. Joel Burton from the Plone Foundation
will be facilitating. The cost will be between $100-$200 per seat. There
will be 35 seats. The classroom will be 328 Phillips Hall on UNC campus.
The classroom has hard-wired ethernet connections at each seat. You will
need to bring a laptop and ethernet cable. I will need to know your MAC
address in advance. We will not be screwing around with wireless
(because it ruins every conference for at least half the attendees and I
can't spend Boot Camp time trying to support it). I think we would like
to have institutional sponsorships, also, that would come with seats in
the class and would help drive down the overall cost for everybody.

It's pretty certain at this point that the audience for the course is to
take web developers with a sprinkling of knowledge of Python expressions
  who have installed Zope for the fun of it at least once, and turn them
into pretty good Plone content type developers within one week. Can you
dig it? Anyway, we had a choice to make: gear it for content developers
or content type developers. Although there are maybe more people who
need content developer training at this point, that's not anything that
can't be gleaned by reading a book already in existence. I think from
our many discussions, the training barrier has been moving beyond that,
and so that's where the Boot Camp is going to focus. Once we train all
you hardcore content type developers, you can fan out and teach your
respective organizations about basic content management, anyway.

I think some good preparation for Boot Camp can be found here:

http://trizpug.org/up-to-speed/

There's your holiday reading program.

For TriZPUG to be a sponsor, I'd like to ask that we use trizpug.org as
a promotional and signup vehicle for the Boot Camp, if that works out
with the Plone Foundation. I'd put a paypal registration type of
application there if it's OK with y'all.

What you can help with is *don't be bashful* and state here as soon as
possible your earnest interest in having a seat, how many seats your
institution will need, and if your institution would be interested in a
low cost sponsorship. I'm organizing this "in my spare time" at work, so
save me from having to beat the bushes, please. This can only take place
is there is sufficient participation and I know that participation will
be sufficient well in advance enough to justify Joel's plane ticket.
Your intent and seat count is not a firm commitment. But I do need an
idea about participation pretty quickly.

I plan to make later sign ups more expensive than earlier sign ups once
this is formally announced. It will be easier to price this thing lower
if I have a good idea of number of attendees and sponsors up front. I'm
thinking an bronze level sponsor would be come with two seats and be the
in the price range of two seats plus $100 (so it could be as high as
$500 if participation is low but sufficient). A silver level would be in
the range of three seats plus $200 (so it could be as high as $800). A
gold sponsorship, four seats plus $400 (as much as $1200).

If there are at least three gold sponsors, the sponsorship costs could
drop drastically, and the overall per seat cost for everybody could be
quite low. SO DO ME THIS FAVOR, PLEASE: if your organization has a high
interest and high stakes in content management, please go ahead and
present the idea of a four seat gold sponsorship for $1200 to your
organization and close the deal quickly. Heck, just go for four seats at
$1200, we throw sponsorship in for free. Once we know what revenues look
like, you can surprise your organization by telling them how much less
than $1200 your sponsorship will be. Note: that's half of what just one
seat costs without travel expenses to most Plone training weeks, and
most Plone training weeks won't be half as advanced as this Boot Camp.
If you jumped on a plane and went to Enfold or Cignex for a week of
Plone training, after hotel, etc., you'd be looking a close to $5000 for
one person. You can't beat this. So put on your salesman hats and go
talk to your money people.

And hey, if you want five seats for $1600, I'm sure we can make an
arrangement for Platinum sponsors.

mail: CB #3056, 12 Howell Hall, UNC, Chapel Hill, NC 27599