[triangle-zpug] Need topics and/or speakers

David Handy david at handysoftware.com
Mon Mar 1 18:23:24 CET 2004

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Tom Bryan wrote:

> I need *you* to suggest presentation topics that you'd like to hear.
> OR
> I need volunteers for future presentations.

Hi! I'd like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I've been
lurking on this list for a little over a month. I was introduced to Python
while doing contract software development at Intel in Oregon about 5 years
ago and was immediately smitten by it. I had a couple of decades previous
programming experience (started at age 12) with everything from BASIC to
C++, but Python is the best. I currently work at SAS Institute doing
mid-tier web-application development in Java for business solutions.
Python helps me every day in my Java development.

I have an interest in teaching Python, particularly to younger people. I
am writing a book on that topic, titled "Computer Programming is Fun!"
which I hope to publish this year. (http://www.handysoftware.com/cpif/)
I will attend PyCon 2004 later this month in DC, and plan to stand up and
do a little 5 min. announcement/presentation on my book and how and why
computer programming should be taught as young as possible.

I would have attended February's ZPUG meeting, but my oldest son's Cub
Scout pinewood derby competition took priority. I plan on attending future
meetings when I can, and would happy to do a presentation on my book and
teaching Python if there is sufficient interest.

For far too long I have been the Lone Python Advocate in whatever
organization I have been in. I joined this group in hope of connecting
with fellow Python kindred spirits locally. I downloaded and looked at
Zope, and after an initial reaction of "Aaaaaaaaaagh! This is complex!"
never touched it again. I am interested in learning more about Zope, but
on a very basic level, like:  what is it good for? why would I take the
apparent large amount of time required to learn it? stuff like that.

Thanks,
David Handy