[triangle-zpug] [Fwd: webslingerZ / UNC Department of Art Press Release]

Chris Calloway cbc at unc.edu
Mon Jun 7 21:29:17 CEST 2004

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: webslingerZ / UNC Department of Art Press Release
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:34:29 -0400
From: Jeffrey Hoffman <jhoffman at webslingerz.com>

CHAPEL HILL, NC (June 7, 2004) -- The  UNC Department
of Art and webslingerZ, Inc. announced today the
launch of the department's new public presence website
available at:

http://www.unc.edu/depts/art/

Working with departmental faculty and administration,
webslingerZ developed a site interface that represents
the sophisticated design concepts inherent to the
study and making of art in a higher education setting.
By leveraging the power of the open-source Zope
Content Management System, a first for a department
at UNC, the entire website can be updated easily by
staff members using an intuitive web-based interface.
Realizing the rich visual imagery of an art school,
webslingerZ Developed a custom imaging system to
facilitate adding photography to the site. Tools were
also developed to create news and events as well as
to maintain communication with graduates via a
database-driven alumni directory.

"When we needed a website that would represent our
commitment to the practice and interpretation of the
visual arts, we knew that webslingerZ was the team best
suited to create it," said Mary Sheriff, Chair of the
UNC Department of Art. "Working with an art department
can be a special challenge since the site has to
accommodate two very different programs: art studio and
art history. It is nothing short of a miracle that the
entire faculty is enthusiastic about the new website,
especially given the diverse approaches to the visual
arts represented in our department. We are particularly
excited about being the first department at UNC to have
a website based on Zope. We never dreamed that managing
our site could be so easy."

"Working with Mary and her team has been a pleasure,"
said Jeffrey Hoffman, President and CEO of webslingerZ.
"They immediately gravitated towards our recommendations
for site development and content management. We are
particularly excited to have worked with them to create
the first project at UNC based on Zope, the content
management framework which we believe will become the
standard in the .edu space."

mail: CB #3056, 12 Howell Hall, UNC, Chapel Hill, NC 27599