[triangle-zpug] boot camp preparation

AM Thomas am at virtueofthesmall.com
Tue Dec 28 21:50:18 CET 2004

Hey, campers and non-campers!  More off-topic-for-most message.  Apologies.

This is more about my setup; skip if you're not interested (it's pretty
boring).  I figured I'd better post this so no one else follows up to my
old information.

I very much appreciate the helpful comments, Tom, Chris, and Geoff.  I now
have Debian (stable) installed (I think I'm living with a wanna-be system
admin, fortunately, as I didn't really have time to muck with it myself)
with Python 2.3.4 + Zope 2.7.3 + Plone 2.0.5, plus a fairly lightweight
window manager and Firefox; everything seems to be working, though I
haven't worked with Plone through local Firefox much.  I think it will be
OK, though I haven't done much more than try updating the Plone site's
home page text.  I've also got 128 M memory coming (the max I could find
for this laptop) via FedEx which should be here soon.  So, there ya go.  I
think I'll be OK as long as 128 MB will help as much as I hope it will.

I knew boot camp would involve actually working with Plone; I guess
initially I hoped that my laptop would be mainly for using a browser and
connecting to some central server's Plone setup, in which case, the Win98
partition with Firefox would have been OK.  But I can certainly see the
advantages to having my own setup right there with me.

Sorry to be a problem child.  It's good to hear from you guys, though.  I
felt I really needed to get a handle on the setup early in case my
hardware wouldn't work out, or in case there were complications.  There
were, but we installed most of the important stuff from source & know
where to find things now, so modifications shouldn't be too difficult, I
hope.

- AM

--
Virtue of the Small / (919) 929-8687