[triangle-zpug] boot camp preparation

AM Thomas am at virtueofthesmall.com
Thu Dec 23 04:25:43 CET 2004

Hi there,

I'm not sure if this question belongs here, on the Plone list, or on the
special boot camp mailing list; please forgive me, this was my first
guess, and feel free to direct me elsewhere.

When I signed up, I asked Chris whether I'd need to set up Plone to run on
my laptop.  The answer seems to be yes.

I've got an older laptop (about 5 years? Not completely sure - it's an
Asus L7300) with 64M memory, a Pentium Celeron processor, and a Red Hat
7.3 partition that I *think* I will attempt to outfit for use in the boot
camp class.

I'm guessing I'll have to replace the OS with something more modern (I
looked through some Plone and Python install pages & it looks like I'd
want Fedora core 1, then Python 2.3.3, then I can set up Plone); but I
wonder if the system is going to be too slow to run Plone satisfactorily.
Any clues?  I have gotten Zope 2.5 to run on it -- not too terribly

My question is this: should I even bother?  Or will it be too slow?

I'm not that smooth with Linux installation/configuration (although I hear
it's gotten easier) and am not looking forward to spending the time to get
this together only to find it's annoyingly slow.  I guess I could try
renting a more recent laptop (suggestions?).  Truly, I'd just as soon
spend the time reviewing the "up to speed" information (or on my job...).

In a related note, how much do I need to get out of "Diving into Python"
before Jan 3?

OK, I probably should have sent this to the boot camp list, but I'd like
confirmation of that from someone.

Thanks,
Ann Marie

--