[triangle-zpug] "Thick" vs. "thin" skins

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Wed Dec 22 17:49:10 CET 2004

Just curious: Is it normal for skins in a system like Plone to include
not just appearance, but behavior? I'm struck by the breadth of its
skins--essentially, everything but document content seems to be
provided (or not) in the active skin. I recall that this is/was also
the case in Mozilla a couple years back, and it still seems odd to me.

Now I understand why changing skins used to show (or hide) the calendar
portlet in Plone. It truly didn't exist (or wasn't include via macros?)
in one of the standard skins! Powerful, but kinda confusing.

To me at least, this is way beyond what "skin" suggests--pure
presentation, with fixed structure/content beneath. Are there
guidelines or best practices on skin design, so that people can easily
extend or substitute skins without breaking things? (I suppose the
sensible thing would be to create "structural" layers, "functional"
layers and "style/asset" layers, then document some recommended
combinations.)

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media