[triangle-zpug] Fix for the online Plone Book (extra-wide pages)

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Tue Dec 21 00:51:47 CET 2004

Hi all, here's a tip just in case anyone else is struggling with the
online Plone Book...

I'm taking advantage of the holiday slow-down to work through the
online Plone Book. It seems pretty complete, but it has some serious
display problems in all my browsers (old IE/Win, current Safari and
Firefox in OS X). Most importantly, most pages are absurdly wide and
scroll sideways even on a 1024 x 768 display:
	http://his.biologie.hu-berlin.de/PloneBook/ch6.rst

So I've been tinkering with a local CSS stylesheet (an accessibility
feature supported on all modern browsers) to fix the problem, and
finally figured out what's wrong. The book is full of <pre>
(pre-formatted code) sections, and some include long, run-on sentences
without line breaks. This, and some really large screen grabs, is
making the pages extra-wide. You can fix it by applying this local
stylesheet in your browser:

/* Slim down Plone Book pages to fit within a browser */
pre {
     width: 900px;
}
img {
     max-width: 900px;
     overflow: auto;
}

Now the pages fit nicely in my browser window, with no annoying
"ping-pong" scrolling required. The exact steps to apply a local
stylesheet are different for each browser; just holler if you're not
sure how to apply this.

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media