[triangle-zpug] Desktop apps in Python?

Jim Allman jim at ibang.com
Sat Aug 14 04:21:32 CEST 2004

Hi all, a general question..

What's the current state of the art in building standalone desktop apps
with Python? I'm trying to figure out how realistic it is to attempt
cross-platform, GUI applications without dependencies on existing stuff
like .NET frameworks, Python interpreters, etc.

I gather that this should be possible by piecing together several
tools, including some or all of these:
	- Python code (of course)
	- wxPython and wxWidgets for cross-platform GUI widgetry
	- PyGame/SDL for multimedia goodness
	- py2exe (or Psyco compiler?) for freedom from the Python interpreter
(hm, Windows only...)
	- PythonCard? (requires py2exe or McMillan installer for standalones)
	- Python's freeze utility? or Gordon McMillan's Installer?

The more I read, the shakier this sounds. Jeez, all I want to do is to
distribute standalone apps for Windows, Mac, and *nix, without the user
having to do more than a simple install. Is this unrealistic?

I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with this, pointers to others
who've pulled it off, and general advice.

Thanks,

   =jimA=

Jim Allman
Interrobang Digital Media