[triangle-zpug] The start of a TriZPUG book shelf

Tom Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Jul 12 19:45:19 EDT 2003

We have our first book in the TriZPUG book shelf.  This "book shelf" will hold
books that the group collects (through donation from members or publishers),
and members will be able to borrow books from it.  We will lend the books out
to members on a first come, first serve basis.  I'd generally like to keep
the lending period to 4 weeks.  I'll bring the book to a meeting.  The next
person on the request list who is at the meeting can take the book until the
following meeting.  Of course, that means that you'd have to show up to two
meetings in a row. :)

So, I'd like to say that this book shelf is my idea and that I've been
pursuing it actively ever since starting the group.  Really, I'm just copying
what other groups like the trilug do.  It was started when I received the
following unsolicited message from Addison-Wesley.  We actually were sent two
copies of the book.  One copy is actually given to us in hopes that someone
will review the book.  I plan to read the review copy, and I'll probably
write a review of the book.  The other copy is to be used however we deem
useful.  I'd like to try the "book shelf" idea for now.  (Other suggestions
from the publisher are to use it as a raffle/door prize.)

If anyone has Python books that they no longer use, the TriZPUG would be happy
to take them.  I'll be posting some sort of page on the TriZPUG wiki web site
soon about the book shelf and its contents.

Regards,

Subject: David Mertz's new book
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 12:36:16 -0400

Greetings Python User Group Leader,

My name is Jocelyn Hoppe and I am a publicity assistant at
Addison-Wesley/Prentice Hall PTR. As a valuable member of the Python
community, we would like to offer you a complimentary review copy of David
Mertz's new book Text Processing in Python (ISBN 0321112547).

David Mertz writes frequently for IBM's developerWorks, including the
regular "Charming Python" and "XML Matters" columns.  His new book, Text
Processing in Python, is a clear and practical, hands-on tutorial that
carefully teaches programmers how to accomplish numerous text processing
tasks using the Python language.  Filled with concrete examples, this book
provides efficient and effective solutions to specific text processing
problems and practical strategies for dealing with all types of text
processing challenges.

If you are interested in receiving a copy of this book, please provide me
with your contact information.