[triangle-zpug] April meeting

Geoff Davis triangle-zpug@starship.python.net
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:02:10 -0400

I must confess that I was kind of bad about going to talks at PyCon.
However, one standout was Shane Hathaway's APELib talk, and I'd like to
present something about APE at a future meeting (I'm nowhere near prepared
for this one).  APE is a persistence library that lets you store ZODB
objects in the data store of your choosing.

For non-Zope folks, the ZODB is the Z Object Database.  It runs just fine
without Zope and is quite useful for non-Zopistas -- it's basically a nice
way of making objects persistent in an almost completely transparent
fashion.  Mitch Kapor's all-Python Outlook-killer project is currently
slated to use the ZODB for storage, and it's very much a non-Zope venture.

For Zope folks, APE is great because it lets you access legacy data via the
familiar ZODB API, and it lets you offer clients a data store more familiar
than the ZODB.

Since I'm probably going to be using APE in the next few months, I volunteer
to give a talk on the standalone ZODB and APE.  Just not on Wednesday.  The
June slot should work for me if that's open.

Geoff Davis
geoff@geoffdavis.net
http://www.geoffdavis.net