[triangle-zpug] Help using Plone...

Tom Bryan triangle-zpug@starship.python.net
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 12:45:14 +0500

So, although I missed our last meeting, I saw Geoff's slides.  It looks
like a great starting point for the next round of work that needs to be
done for a project I work on (http://www.ecoaccess.org/).
Unfortunately, although I've played with Zope and read an early version
of the Zope book
http://www.zope.org/Documentation/Books/ZopeBook/current/index_html
before there were Zope Page Templates, I really don't know much about
creating sites with Zope.

Now I have Plone installed and running.  I have no idea where to start.
I am fortunate in that I have very specific functional requirements
concerning user roles and permissions and document state transitions
for a workflow.  I will soon have a list of metadata that documents
should support and some information about different types of documents
(such as FAQs, articles, and bibliographies).

I'm staring at the ZMI for the "Plone site" I just added, and I'm not
sure what to do next.  I could start flailing away and eventually get a
site functioning through trial and error, but I really hope that's not
necessary.  Where should I *start*?  Do I need to read more about ZPT
first?  Since Plone is a CMF application, should I read all avaiable
CMF documentation?  Basically, if you've played with Plone or CMF and
had it to do all over again (starting as an experienced software
developer who knows a little bit about Zope in general), where would
you start?

What I'm trying to avoid is doing the equivalent in Plone of writing a
sort() function to sort lists of numbers...not noticing the nice
L.sort() method.

Thanks,
---Tom