[triangle-zpug] What do *you* want from the TriZPUG?

Tom Bryan triangle-zpug@starship.python.net
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 23:15:08 +0500

It looks like I'm going to have to pester about half of the people I
initially e-mailed about this list.  Several of them have not joined
the list, and I'd like their input when determining a good meeting
time/location for our first meeting.

In the meantime, I was wondering what others were doing, what you would
be willing/able to talk about, and what you're interested in.  I see
that we have a few who seem to be primarily interested in Zope (from a
PHP or Content Management System angle) and others who are primarily
interested in Python (from a scripting/rapid application development
angle).

My current Python activity involves

Jython
	at work to drive an automated regression test
Zope/Python/PostgreSQL
	implementing EcoAccess.org a Triangle-based non-profit
Python
	my language of choice when I need a quick hack :-)

With very little work, I could be ready to give a talk on unittest and
doctest and why you should use them.  I could also give a talk on
Jython and Java.  For those who do little with XML, I could probably
put together an intro talk about XML and using Python to process it.
I've also used Python's "dist" support for automating the process of
bundling code in RPMs and other distribution formats if anyone is
interested in that process.

I'd like to hear a lot more about Zope.  I want to know what's new since
Python 1.5.2 since I don't think that I've really been using any of the
features (other than new standard libraries) added since then.  I'd
like to know how to use some standard Python utilities, such as
PyChecker.  I would also love to see some discussion of some of the
Python libraries that I don't normally use, such as threading.

---Tom