[Python-au] Kiwi PyCon 2013 Keynote: Michael Foord

Danny Adair president at nzpug.org
Tue Jul 2 22:26:17 UTC 2013

Another great reason to join us at Kiwi PyCon... - http://nz.pycon.org/

Our Saturday Keynote Speech
=========================

Michael will give a Python "State of the Union" - what's going on with
all the implementations and what's new in Python 3.3 / 3.4, followed
by words of wisdom about being - and becoming - a core developer.

Michael about Michael
==================

I've been developing with Python since 2002. I'm currently working for
Canonical in the UK, doing web application development with Django.

I've written a book on Python, "IronPython in Action" [1] for Manning
Publications.

I've been a Python core developer since 2007, with a particular
interest in testing and testing tools. I particularly maintain the
"unittest" library within the Python standard library. Alongside this
I maintain "unittest2" [2], a backport of the newer features of Python
to work with earlier versions of Python. "unittest2" is now bundled
with Django, which is very pleasing.

Testing is an area I'm particularly passionate about as I believe it
is one of the foundations of delivering quality software (and keeping
developers sane).

My most successful open source project is "mock" [3], the most widely
used Python mock object library, which has now been added to the
Python standard library; included in Python 3.3 as "unittest.mock".

As a member of the Python Software Foundation I've been involved in
organising PyCon in the US and PyCon UK, and in particular running the
Python Language Summit, attended by core Python developers, at PyCon
US.

[1] http://www.ironpythoninaction.com/
[2] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/unittest2
[3] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mock