[Python-au] Universities teaching python

George Wright georgewr at bigpond.net.au
Fri Mar 1 21:22:18 UTC 2013

I would highly recommend the Coursera Interactive Python.
I did this course for 9 weeks last year. Really good teaching. A great learning experience!
But you don't get a formal credential from it.
It's on again this year in April and October this year.
https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython

Regards
George Wright

On 01/03/2013, at 11:00 PM, python-au-request at starship.python.net wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 06:45:21 +1000
> From: Azerith <azerith at gmail.com>
> To: python-au at starship.python.net
> Subject: Re: [Python-au] Universities teaching python
>
> Hi all, does not look like its been mentioned, Charls Sturt's Bach IT has
> ITC106 <http://www.csu.edu.au/handbook/handbook13/subjects/ITC106.html>
> Programming
> Principles which uses python. I have a work mate studying so I am giving
> him python lessons for this. Quickly looking at the rest of the papers they
> seem to move to java later on - not sure you can avoid that just yet :P.
> But! there is always jython.
> Papers link:
> http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/information_technology_it/course-structure#.US8oWL-W-uI
> Degree link:
> http://www.csu.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/information_technology_it/course-overview#.US8oSL-W-uJ
>
> Regards,
>
> Kaleb Ufton.
>
>>> From: Richard Luke <rl at rmultiple.com>

> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 08:10:25 +1030
> From: Garry Trethewey <garrytre at bigpond.com>
> To: Wendy Langer <lollipopenator at gmail.com>
> Cc: python-au at python.net, sydneypython at googlegroups.com,	Richard Luke
> 	<rl at rmultiple.com>
> Subject: Re: [Python-au] Fwd: Universities teaching Python
>
> Hi
>
> I've just done
> https://class.coursera.org/programming1-2012-001/class
> The course has finished, so no discussion forum etc, but all the video
> lectures, exercises & assignments are there to use if you want.
>
> Probably run again this year.
>
> I thought a lot of it was pretty basic, even for me, but odd things were
> new and useful.
>
> Dunno how "official" and valuable any final certificates are, I suspect not.
>
> I've enrolled for https://www.coursera.org/course/interactivepython when
> it gets started.
>
> My programming background was a couple of months of spoonfeeding pascal
> & basic about 25 years ago at TAFE, then nothing, so when I needed to
> learn a language about 3 years ago, I thought I had a small head start,
> but I found www.alan-g.me.uk was the only thing really basic enough that
> I could use. Everything else sort of assumed I already knew something.
>
> From www.alan-g.me.uk there are links to other stuff, and more options
> than there were 3 years ago.
>
> HTH
>

> On 28/02/13 01:22, Wendy Langer wrote:
>>
>> Looking for a  uni where python is taught is a good idea, as it can
>> sometimes be a sign that a lot of thought has been put into the curriculum.
>>
>> The best advice depends a little on whether you are mainly looking for
> [...]

George Wright
georgewr at bigpond.net.au