[Python-au] Fwd: Universities teaching Python

Wendy Langer lollipopenator at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:52:23 UTC 2013

Looking for a  uni where python is taught is a good idea, as it can
sometimes be a sign that a lot of thought has been put into the curriculum.

The best advice depends a little on whether you are mainly looking for
python being taught as a sign of overall course quality, or whether you are
mainly just keen on actually learning python itself.

In terms of learning Python itself, I would also recommend looking at the
free online courses developed by Udacity, Coursera, and others.

If you've not been following the 'MOOC' movement (Massive Open Online
Courses), then here's an article to give an overview:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/04/education/edlife/massive-open-online-courses-are-multiplying-at-a-rapid-pace.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

These courses are a great way to supplement any other study you may be
doing.

Over the last year or so the number of courses has flowered into an
enormous array of diversity (love my mixed metaphors :)

There are many courses which use and/or teach python. I've listed one
below, and if you have a look around you places like class-central or
mooc-list, you will find others.

I personally can recommend the Udacity courses - I've done several now.
I've not dome the one listed below, as I already knew python, but I'm in
touch with people who have done it and don't recall any complaints.

One great thing about the way they have set things up is that you can
actually code python straight into your browser, so you can test out
whatever you learn each lesson right away, and you don't have to muck about
installing things on your computer unless you want to. (For writing longer,
 more complex programs you would want to install it on your computer at
some stage, but at least you don't have to do that right at the start, with
all the annoyance tat installing things often entails, right in the first
week while you are truing  to learn other things and get oriented!)

Here's the blurb from an introductory Udacity course in Computer Science:

"What Will I Learn?

At the end of this course you will have a rock solid foundation for
programming in Python and built a working web crawler. This course will
prepare you to take many of Udacity's more advanced courses." (See
https://www.udacity.com/course/cs101)

These courses are free and typically 8 to 10 weeks long, although you can
take longer than that without penalty if you don't have much time each week
to complete the assignments. At the end you receive a digital certificate.

Currently this certificate does not give you actual university credit, but
that doesn't matter much if you are also studying in an 'official'
university course. Over time, they are introducing proctored exams which
you would pay for, and for which you would then receive true university
credit, but that's something that's not going to be really functional for
at least another year or two. However if you are getting credit elsewhere
anyway, then all you care about is the quality of the learning experience,
which in my experience is high with most MOOCs.

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM, Chris Neugebauer <chrisjrn at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> This got sent to the PyCon AU orgs list. Anyone want to point Richard
> in the direction of University distance courses that teach Python?
>
> --Chris

"You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull his
tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you understand
this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send signals here, they
receive them there. The only difference is that there is no cat." (Albert
Einstein)