[Python-au] python library to discover file associations

Eric O'Donnell svvampy at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 12:23:50 UTC 2011

Hi Mike,

If calling 'os.system(txtfile)' is not sufficient, in Windows you can trek
through the registry.

First HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt which points you to the 'txtfile' entry.
Then HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\txtfile\shell\open\command
the value on my system is:
%SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1

I don't know what you need to do on other platforms, perhaps look at the
code for os.system?

Hmm, I just tried that via Cygwin:
>>> import os
>>> os.name
'posix'
>>> os.system('file.txt')
sh: file.txt: command not found
32512

So maybe that's not as helpful as I thought.

Cheers,
Eric